AR15 type pistol grip

jcev39

I have a dolphin TR stock which I'm delighted with.  My only minor gripe (and opportunity to fiddle with it) is that it uses an AR15 grip which isn't really big enough for my hand which is surprising as I don't have particularly massive hands!  Anyone got any recommendations for where I can get one / have one for sale?

Many thanks in advance

John

John

I've had several Dolphin stocks, and have always modded them to take other grips, I use Walthers, but you can fit I would think almost any thing. It will involve drilling and tapping a thread and making a simple adapter to hold the grip.

My current 300 mt stock is a heavily modded Dolphin with a Walther KK500 grip.

If you want pics email me on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com

Have fun

Robin

If its like the Dolphin stock I sold to RobinC most grips don't fit easily as the stock has an angle immediately behind the grip which drastically reduces the space for a more anatomical grip to fit directly. There seems to be several design issues which the stock has, the check piece runs out of height for some shooters and the barrel alignment to forend is much higher than needed. Additionally the fitting block for the grip is made of aluminum and the bolts can easily damage the threads. Tried several grips and had to mill them to fit but there just isn't enough space without dropping the grip down. In the end RobinC has the stock and I got a Gemini. Brownells have a large list but don't ignore the airsoft websites. May get a bargain. I may have a grip to fit, if I find it you can have it for postage. Met a couple of shooters at the Imperial who had similar issues.

John

Sadly TR is still generally in the 1960's, and the thinking behind the stocks seem to follow except with makers who also make small bores. 

It is reasonably simple to fit any modern small bore anatomical grips to a Dolphin, BUT, it does entail altering the base of the stock, I go a step further and remove the integral trigger guard as well so I have a flat base and then drill and tap threads for the grip and  and do several locations so I came move the grip forward or back. I then fit a KK500 type trigger guard. I've done three for myself all with Walther grips, two with KK300's, the most recent with a KK500, and the first one I did just with hacksaw, files, and power drill, its not a complex job, but its not a direct swop.

I also shorten the fore end (much too long), and mod the rear to shorten it, simplify it, and fit a modern small bore butt plate, and remove the excess rear weight.  The cheek piece I mod and also make it folding so it can be much higher and still open the bolt, so not a lot of Dolphin left on mine!!!.

The only one I have now  heavily modified, which I got from "Journeyman" as a standard stock, and its the old slimmer one, is fitted with a Barnard P .223  and is a very trick 300 mt rifle, and is so modified its only recognised as originating from a Dolphin by those who know!

My advice if you want a better grip, if you shoot  small bore with a modern rifle,  just get the same  grip and mod the stock to fit, if you want to do it I can email pics, will keep you out of mischief over winter!

Have fun

Robin

On 04/09/2022 at 21:35, jcev39 said:

I have a dolphin TR stock which I'm delighted with.  My only minor gripe (and opportunity to fiddle with it) is that it uses an AR15 grip which isn't really big enough for my hand which is surprising as I don't have particularly massive hands!  Anyone got any recommendations for where I can get one / have one for sale?

Many thanks in advance

John

mik@dolphinguncompany.co.uk says

I will help him (jcev39) out if he contacts me.

Regards 

JCS