left handed anschutz match 54 or valmet - south east england (east or south east london,essex, kent)

james308

Hello everyone 

im looking for a left haned match 54 anschutz for bench rest shooting. I dont really want the supermatch stock and i need to be able to mount a scope. i dont have a huge budget so im looking for somthing from the mid 70's early 80's. 

i dont know if valmet ever made a left handed rifle but if they did and your looking to sell i would also be very interested. 

thank you!!!

Yes i know i've been looking for while. I have checked that one out but the extras on it im not going to use and i would hate to see them go to waste. i would probably also be looking at changing or adding to the stock to get it fit for purpose. plus the rfd price. All in all that particular one works out to be quite expensive when im done. So im not sure if thats the right deal for me (im thinking it over and keeping an open mind). whilst still looking for other options.

have you shot bench rest off a supermatch stock?

Edited by james308

1 hour ago, james308 said:

Hello everyone 

i dont know if valmet ever made a left handed rifle but if they did and your looking to sell i would also be very interested. 

thank you!!!

No, Valmet didn't make a LH Finnish Lion. They made a lefty stock, with the standard RH bolt, but that's all.

I might be incorrect, but a LH Anschutz Match 54 from that era would likely not be a true left handed version i.e. they'll probably have funky bolts that bend over the top of the action to make it accessible for a left hander.

If you are ok with a true LH Anschutz in a SuperMatch stock, I can redirect you to a dealer that has a couple? They have a true LH Match 54 (1613) SuperMatch and having just checked, unfortunately no longer have an 1807L in SuperMatch stock they had in stock a few weeks ago. They also have a 1903L if that takes your fancy? It's Aaron Wheeler Gunsmiths. Prices look a bit inflated though.

1 hour ago, trshooter said:

I might be incorrect, but a LH Anschutz Match 54 from that era would likely not be a true left handed version i.e. they'll probably have funky bolts that bend over the top of the action to make it accessible for a left hander.

If you are ok with a true LH Anschutz in a SuperMatch stock, I can redirect you to a dealer that has a couple? They have a true LH Match 54 (1613) SuperMatch and having just checked, unfortunately no longer have an 1807L in SuperMatch stock they had in stock a few weeks ago. They also have a 1903L if that takes your fancy? It's Aaron Wheeler Gunsmiths. Prices look a bit inflated though.

AFAIK, Anschutz made their first true left-handed rifles in 1980, which would just fit the OPs object.

The 1613 on Aaron Wheeler's website is likely to be a hybrid. It seems Anschutz built the very first lefties on 16xx Match 54 barreled-receivers, but with an 18xx bolt and 5018 trigger. I've seen a few of these over the years. Practically, I'd call this an 1813L, given the critical 18xx parts and stock.

i've checked Aaron wheeler a couple of times they never update their website and nothing is ever still available. 

with regards to the Anschutz. At the minute i've never owned one so i have limited knowledge on them. I've been shooting with a mark 4 bsa martini international and competing against pretty much all Anschutz rifles with the odd valmet thrown in.  

I'm looking for a bench rest gun which i can use with a scope. i don't have a couple of grand to spend on the rifle. Probably somewhere in the region of £700.00 plus the scope money (i have some wiggle room). it must have the heavy barrel and be left handed. i have never used the supermatch stock myself but have been told that they are not ideal unless its the more modern version. if someone on the forum who has used one for benchrest could give me their opinion it would be very helpful. likewise an opinion on what particular models might be best suited would also be helpful. 

at the minute as long as its left handed, has the heavy barrel and normal stock then i'm interested. i know this is extremely hard to come by but we've all seen them they are out there.

James,

Out of interest why must it be the heavy barrel? The lighter 660x22mm Match 54 barrel is perfectly capable. Most adult mem pick the heavy (690×24mm) barrel for prone, but there the extra weight can dampen movement. Is that still the case for benchrest? Your BSA mk 4 is itself a lightweight; the Mk 5 was the contemporary heavy- 29in barrel vs 27in.

Tim

i'm looking to upgrade on the mk4. I only went with the mk4 in the first place because it was the only thing i could get in left handed at the time and i got a really good deal on it. So this time round i would like the heavy barrel. i'm hoping the extra weight will help dampen the movement. 

Edited by james308

James,

Yes, a heavy barrel is more inert. But there's only about 300g difference between an Anschutz 66cm and the 69cm heavy. The chamber and rifling and chamber are the same, and accuracy really lies in these. When Anschutz revamped the Match 54 to create the 54.30 they chose to fit the 66cm barrel rather than the 69cm. Walther have fitted a similar size barrel to the 66cm since the 1970s, and these do well. Considering both types gives you more options. You can get weights for the barrel, or stock, if you need; a barrel tuner is a weight.

If you don't want a Supermatch stock, you're more likely to find the 66cm than the 69cm. Anschutz fitted their dedicated-Prone rifles with the 69cm heavy barrel (see here for an RH example): 

But these are less common than Supermatches in my experience. 

2 hours ago, james308 said:

Tim

what model is the dedicated prone rifles?

Depending on the age: 1411, 1611, 1811, or 1911. For a left handed bolt, you'd want an 1811 (1980-87), or a 1911 (1987 until discontinued around 2000).

The BR-50 series were originally based on the xx11. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Tim,

I represent East Grinstead Target Shooting Club, we are intending to sell some of our old stock, including a Left Handed Anschutz Match Rifle, plus also a Left Handed BSA Martini Mk2 which I am lead to believe is good for bench rest use with some modification to mount a scope.

Please PM me for more info or keep watching the For Sale section as I hope to start posting the items for sale soon.

Kind regards

Grant