Martini (PH25B or later) sight wanted

iainfm

Hi,

I used to shoot with a Martini Mk2, but it got donated to a rifle club and eventually shredded when the club folded.

The club I'm shooting with now (Greenock) have a few Martinis, but none has a rear sight.

I was wondering if anyone had a right-handed one for less than ebay money (or even borrow/rent) so I could see whether I want to go down the Martini route or opt for something modern when I eventually come to look for a rifle of my own.

Thanks in advance,

Iain

Edited by iainfm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I'll have another look at the club martinis and see if it makes sense to go down this route. The one I looked at last week was also missing the rail for the handstop!

Best wishes,

Iain

7 minutes ago, iainfm said:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I'll have another look at the club martinis and see if it makes sense to go down this route. The one I looked at last week was also missing the rail for the handstop!

Best wishes,

Iain

Iain,

Missing or not fitted? Before the International series BSA didn't fit any mounting points for a handstop. The International Mk 1 and 2 only had the screw-hole plate.

1 minute ago, iainfm said:

Missing - there's a channel in the wood where one should be but it's AWOL. I'll check it again tomorrow night, but I'm fairly sure it's a Mk3.

It can't be a Mk 3 (or a Mk 4 or 5). These all had the handstop rail cut into the aluminium hanger/cantilever beam (Mk 3) or spar (Mk 4/5) that provided the fore-end. The wood was cosmetic, rather than structural. The Mk 1 and 2 had a plate screwed into the wood. Suspect someone stripped the threads in another rifle at some point and scavenged parts.

Ian,

Could I suggest you try shooting with an Anschutz or similar. I know that some people shoot with BSA's to good effect, but they really are last century.

The more modern rifles usually will come with sights, buttplates etc, and you can then add/improve on them if you wish.

Does the club have a modern rifle, or is there someone you know who could let you have use of a modern(ish) bolt action rifle?

Jonty

I'm shooting with an old Match 54 at the moment, but yes -  I need to get myself organised and apply for a FAC so I can get myself something more modern and customisable.

The Martini thought / route was really nostalgia for my old rifle!

Yes, I thought that may be the case. Best use it best you can, or look and admire it and love it,  and consider whether buying a rear site that  probably costs more than what the rifle is worth is good economics.

It may be that one turns up at sometime and it would be nice if someone would lend you one as you asked for, so you could make your mind up.

Could I suggest some detective work with the club committee and members to ask why they have no rear sights? it could be someone has them for safe keeping.

Jonty

Edited by jonty
Correction

Hi,

I had a look at the Martini on Tuesday night and I think there's a fair bit missing/wrong with it. I've been offered a complete one in good condition by another club for £100, which would make more sense, and I'd be able to test it first.

Re the missing parts - no one seems to know (other than general 'make one good out of several bad' musings). I did find a box in a cupboard with what looked like /parts/ of one or more PH25Bs, but I didn't ask what events had led to them being taken apart!

So, I think I'll end my quest for PH sights at the moment. Thanks anyway everyone!