Wanted: 7.62 Target Rifle

Repperz

Hi all,

I'm an ex-uni shooter after a 762/308 Target Rifle for use at Bisley. I've been on the hunt since the last Imperial meeting but no luck so far, so thought I'd put this out in case anyone's thinking of selling here/ on the grapevine. I broke my T and ended up in A last year so keen to find something that can grow with me over the next few years of shooting (especially now my FAC is on the way).

Budget-wise I'm in the region of £1000-£2500 so alot of flexibility. I'd like as much of a package as possible (ie: not have to go out and buy sights on top etc) but equally I understand I'm at the mercy of the second hand market! I'd stretch on budget for the right action/stock combo so feel free to suggest whatever you might have. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

Last I heard, both David Crispin at Hut60 and John Binder-Swash had second hand Barnard Ps they were selling on behalf of someone else. Both needed new barrels, so would set you back £2500 at most, but were full “packages” otherwise. 

Edited by trshooter

I have a Paramount available at £1400, complete with sights, quality gunslip, 3 cleaning rods and full set of cleaning kit, additional adjustable-height foresight and various irises, spares and accessories; the stock has been freshly refinished.  

The rifle belonged to a retiring club member who was a Royal Marine; when I received it I was able to remove practically no carbon or copper from the barrel whatsoever - it was probably the cleanest barrel I'd ever seen, so I'm sure it has been very well looked-after.  The barrel was recently inspected by a well-known TR gunsmith.  I'd describe it as 'middle-aged'.  The bore was in reasonable condition with no sign of any significant break-up of the lands that might suggest it's close to the end of its useful life, but it was also clear that more of its life is behind it than lies ahead.  I've always used second-hand rifles myself, at up-to Commonwealth Games level, and I only feel that a rifle is truly mine once it's had a new barrel; your budget more than accommodates the price of a brand new barrel when the need arises, but that need does not appear to be imminent.  

The rifle is being sold by a national fullbore rifle association.  The rifle is currently located at Bisley and I can meet you there at any time to view (complete with a borescope).  I'll take some photos and post a for sale listing, hopefully later today.  

On 13/10/2021 at 10:46, trshooter said:

Last I heard, both David Crispin at Hut60 and John Binder-Swash had second hand Barnard Ps they were selling on behalf of someone else. Both needed new barrels, so would set you back £2500 at most, but were full “packages” otherwise. 

Hi mate, that's perfect thanks for the tip! I'll follow up with both of them and see what's on offer. 

Separately, I saw your other post. Hope you're getting on well with the new Dolphin rifle! 

14 hours ago, rox said:

I have a Paramount available at £1400, complete with sights, quality gunslip, 3 cleaning rods and full set of cleaning kit, additional adjustable-height foresight and various irises, spares and accessories; the stock has been freshly refinished.  

The rifle belonged to a retiring club member who was a Royal Marine; when I received it I was able to remove practically no carbon or copper from the barrel whatsoever - it was probably the cleanest barrel I'd ever seen, so I'm sure it has been very well looked-after.  The barrel was recently inspected by a well-known TR gunsmith.  I'd describe it as 'middle-aged'.  The bore was in reasonable condition with no sign of any significant break-up of the lands that might suggest it's close to the end of its useful life, but it was also clear that more of its life is behind it than lies ahead.  I've always used second-hand rifles myself, at up-to Commonwealth Games level, and I only feel that a rifle is truly mine once it's had a new barrel; your budget more than accommodates the price of a brand new barrel when the need arises, but that need does not appear to be imminent.  

The rifle is being sold by a national fullbore rifle association.  The rifle is currently located at Bisley and I can meet you there at any time to view (complete with a borescope).  I'll take some photos and post a for sale listing, hopefully later today.  

Hi Rox, I'll PM you separately but that sound great! I'll be in Bisley a couple of times hopefully over November and this weekend so I can give you some details in a message. 

8 hours ago, Repperz said:

Hi Rox, I'll PM you separately but that sound great! I'll be in Bisley a couple of times hopefully over November and this weekend so I can give you some details in a message. 

Should be able to meet you this weekend if that suits.

On 13/10/2021 at 10:29, Repperz said:

Hi all,

I'm an ex-uni shooter after a 762/308 Target Rifle for use at Bisley. I've been on the hunt since the last Imperial meeting but no luck so far, so thought I'd put this out in case anyone's thinking of selling here/ on the grapevine. I broke my T and ended up in A last year so keen to find something that can grow with me over the next few years of shooting (especially now my FAC is on the way).

Budget-wise I'm in the region of £1000-£2500 so alot of flexibility. I'd like as much of a package as possible (ie: not have to go out and buy sights on top etc) but equally I understand I'm at the mercy of the second hand market! I'd stretch on budget for the right action/stock combo so feel free to suggest whatever you might have. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

I just had Fulton's Commission me a rifle recently (collecting in 2 weeks)

Paramount action (supplied by Fulton's)

Near mint barrel (supplied by Fulton's)

Dolphin stock (supplied and fitted by dolphin)

RPA Tracker sights (supplied by Fulton's)

Overall I got the commission for £2750, but they also offered (pretty sure can offer you the same/similar) a swing mark 5 with same specifications with dolphin stock for £2200-£2300, which is in your price range.

If you are down in bisley anytime soon, would be a good idea to pop into Fulton's and see what they can offer you, I understand it's slightly more to the top of your price range, but it does have the benefit of not having to replace the barrel anytime soon, and having any adjustments done by Fulton's for you.