Upgrading The Forum

neil

Which route would you like to see stirton.com take?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which route would you like to see stirton.com take?

• Upgrade to IPB V2
    • Migrate to VBulletin V3
    • Migrate back to phpBB
    • Stick with the current board (with no further developments and support/bug fixes)
    • Use one of the free/opensource 'lesser' boards

This poll is closed to new votes

Hi Neil

I hadn't thought of that!

My suggestion probably only works best if one item Otherwise if can be readily done items sold could be delisted and only those unsold specified in the heading? Seller might therefore have to do a bit of editing!

Regards

Ian

Could we add to the rules that the seller must edit the first post to say that items have been sold. I don't think the OP can edit the topic title to say sold which would be the best option... or a job for a moderator?

That sounds fair enough to me Simon. Better for the OP rather than a moderator really.

Agreed. If a moderator were to go in and edit they may as well delete the thread and that of course relies on a mod reading all the for sale threads.

Rob.

• 9 months later...

In the process of moving a large number of our clients over to a new server with more power, more RAM and more storage space :)

There may be a little outage on the forum, so bear with us.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

Well over the last few years, we've all seen Facebook take the world by storm.

I'm very conscious that there are many shooting groups on there as it's quick and easy to access.

Looking to the memebership here to see if it's worth upgrading the forum software to a supported version (cost about £400) and whether people would be willing to contribute at all, or whether no-one is really using the forum in anger these days?

Will look into better integration with Facebook and Twitter etc, and I know that you can use the TapaTalk app on your phone in order to load the forum in a more mobile friendly format.

Let me know your thoughts please people!

Thanks

Neil

Although I visit the forum several times a day I very rarely post anything apart from news regarding The British Pistol Club open meetings.

That news is also, obviously, also posted on the BPC FB page.

There is still a place for a discussion forum, TargetTalk proves that, but I'm not sure how many the sport needs in addition to all of the FB groups.

Does the forum need to change, what's the driver here?

Personally, I appreciate this forum as it is. I have met and heard opinions from shooters from all over, I have made much use of the buying and selling areas (some closer to home would say not enough selling!) and I have my interest piqued occasionally, particularly when it comes to aspects of legislation or, as Chris says, ISSF rule changes (even though I don't shoot to those rules).

To an extent, this forum is quieter due to the calibre of its patrons - what's said is in the main constructive, inciteful and self-policing, a far cry from the many examples you see with a little blue thumbsup; Facebook does not a good forum make. Yes, it's immediate, but the quality of material follows the 80:20 rule from the wrong side. I think a forum allows a more considered response and also an inherent archive - there's many a time I've gone back to a post or two because I know I can.

H.

Just donned my hard hat so thought I'd add my opinion.

1. Excellent forum, it serves it's purpose and more.
  2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  3. Don't assume that we are all social media FOMO addicts.
  4. Congratulations to Neil for doing such a good job in providing us this forum!

10 Dots

Not really in to the facetubetwitterers type social media here!

I have always appreciated the level of sensible comment and the considered opinions that members spend a deal of time thinking about before posting. Therefore, I would add my vote to the side that is for keeping things pretty much as they are. I would also second 10 Dots in thanking Neil for keeping the forum up and running.

Yes there are other forms of media out there, but being a bit of a luddite, the discussions that abound on this forum are more worthwhile and informative. The answers and comments given are usually well thought out and helpful and whilst some may think we ought to move with the times and integrate with other forms of media, unless it becomes the only way for the forum to continue then leave it alone, it's great as it is.

I am not on facebook, twitter or any other form of social media but I am often looking on this forum. Thank you for all the hard work you do running it and to all the members who spend time answering questions and giving good advice to shooters like myself. I like the site as it is and would be willing to make a donation to keep the site running.

Stuart

Thanks guys, and OK I'm happy to keep things running (donations welcome - will get that setup on the site again :D )

Working in the IT industry, I know all too well how old versions of software tend to lend themselves to the unscrupulous ones out there, giving them known (and unpatched) exploits they can target. This version of the forum went end of life in terms of support a couple of months back, and would like to keep it up-to-date and as secure as possible to limit attempts from hackers ... that's my main driver for upgrading .. security!