Reloading equipment

Neilfr

Hi All

I am looking to start loading my own cartridges. I fire 7.62 & 357. If anyone can recommend the best press etc for someone starting or anything for sale. I have plenty of cases.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

l have been reloading for approx 5yrs...so not the font of all knowledge!  Hope this might help:

The key question to ask yourself IMHO :  Do l want quantity or quality (waits to be shot down!!)....

Single Stage presses are generally considered the best option for repeatable quality.  To spend money once and buy well, l could happily recommend the Redding Big Boss ll press.  I also have a Forster Co-Ax press, another excellent choice and a great bit of kit.  Both very different and each have limitations / qualities over the other. If on a budget, some of the Lee offerings are good value for money but l have read of wear issues??  Dies : Redding, RCBS or Forster.  I have found all to be excellent.  Most shooters wanting accuracy / repeatability now use electronic measuring / dispensing scales.  Mixed ‘luck’ with these, the RCBS, Lyman and Hornady offerings are popular (l use the RCBS model). The powder you select seems to have a marked effect on performance with all of these!  Personally, l’d use a hand primer - Sinclair is as good as any IMHO.  The Forster case trimmer is simple and trouble free and a hand ‘torpedo’ case rim tool (sets bevel on inner & outer case rim edge) is just fine.  Buy a Wilson calibre specific case gauge and check resized & trimmed cases to ensure you are working within SAMMI specs.  Micrometer seating dies are a real boon and well worth the investment IMHO and get yourself a good digital vernier and I have found the Hornady ‘Lock n Load’ OAL gauge invaluable!

No knowledge of progressive presses l’m afraid.  Others will have to advise!

A science in it’s own right....and you will not get it all right with tools and equipment ‘first time’!!

Best of luck....enjoy++

Rob

Hi Neil

I use a Lee Press and have good results (with 7.62) - they are cheaper than others but fine for starting out. As Rob said a single stage is best for 7.62 target but you may want to consider a turret (or progressive) for pistol rounds - as you tend to have more to load, it's quicker and accuracy is less important.

There is lots of advice around so hard to navigate. I would say 1967Spud has a good YouTube introduction to reloading.

We have a club member who is selling his complete reloading kit (in .357 and I have some 7.62 dies) . If you are interested I can send details but it might be difficult to post - we are in Chipping Norton Oxfordshire if you are nearby.

All the best

Tom

I would ask that you consider Dillon reloading machines, have a look at Dillon Precision.com and also on You Tube, there is lots of info/videos out there to assist. Whilst Dillon do a Square Deal Press this is only suitable for pistol calibres, a 550C or a 650XL now upgraded to 750 XL , both will do everything you require and allow for future calibres. A 550C is a large multi stage press that indexes by you moving the shell plate around, whereas the 650/750 is indexed by you pulling the handle. The 550C is bought as a machine without the calibre conversion kit that you wish to load whereas the 650/750 is purchased with the calibre conversion kit already installed. For both machines additional calibres conversion kits are then required for the calibres you wish to load. All standard reloading dies fit both machines. If you wanted to really push the proverbial reloading boat out then Dillon sell a really large 1050 reloading press, which is often used by commercial reloading outfits, but it is something I would not  recommend for you. both 550 and 750 machines can be added too once you get used to them, I could ramble on but one final bit of info, Dillon machines are covered by a lifetime warranty, or as it is marketed in the USA, a "No BS " warranty.

Don't buy a progressive press if you're new to reloading; they're difficult to set up and can be temperamental. Buy a single stage kit (I too started with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit) and learn about the process. Your initial forays into handloading are about learning to perform each step correctly to create safe ammunition, not cranking out hundreds of rounds on a progressive press.

Edited by Guy