Fraud Alert - Please Read

RAMOS1972

4 hours ago, journeyman said:

Just had a suspicious transaction on Ebay for equipment also advertised on here. Prompt payer from AUS but card address uk not accurate according to Royal Mail and requests redirect of goods to Guernsey to another partial address. Cancelled transaction as details just not right. Contact name and card name not matched and delivery has no name. May be legit but can't take chances.

Could be a stolen card or a paypal refund scam. I think you did the right thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have learnt the hard way and now won't buy anything online unless I have guarantee of refund. I have just been contacted again today by Mike115 on this website suggesting another email of someone in Scotland who has exactly what I want i.e. Twin post scope and air rifle. SCAMMER!!!!

If you get a communication from MIKE115 don't talk to him/her he/she is a scammer 100%

Best regards

Mark

• 6 months later...

A warning for everyone: it looks like the "gentleman" who did over katanga at the end of last year ( https://forum.stirton.com/index.php?/topic/9114-anschutz-2013-and-accessories/ ), is back at it again - this time with a name change to Target. Why his account hasn't yet been banned is anyone's guess.

He pm'd me in response to my "Free Pistol" wanted thread from a few weeks back, once again requesting to communicate off-site. His message is copied below:

"Yes, i have a Morini CM84E 22 LR in excellent condition, email me at adamnumark.an@gmail.com for more information.

Regards

Adam"

I've not responded to that message either on, or off-site.  Keep your eyes peeled as they say...

I'd actually put extra steps in for "Free" email accounts but I'm forever being asked by people to approve their accounts.

Basically, there are more legitimate members with Hotmail, Google, Outlook (Free) accounts than not.

Will have a look at this particular one but I cannot stress enough that whenever you are buying online you really need to adhere to safe purchasing practices. 

I may look at banning new members from posting in the For Sale section until they've contributed something to the forum in terms of posts/content to show that they are genuinely interested in our sport.

17 minutes ago, neil said:

I'd actually put extra steps in for "Free" email accounts but I'm forever being asked by people to approve their accounts.

Basically, there are more legitimate members with Hotmail, Google, Outlook (Free) accounts than not.

Will have a look at this particular one but I cannot stress enough that whenever you are buying online you really need to adhere to safe purchasing practices. 

I may look at banning new members from posting in the For Sale section until they've contributed something to the forum in terms of posts/content to show that they are genuinely interested in our sport.

It's a difficult line to walk. It's great that genuine people can just turn up and sell items (and then get involved with the forum, hopefully) but the flip side is, of course, that you have people who will abuse that system. Rather a catch-22...

2 members active in this conversation (including you)
default_photo.png Silvermachine
Shooting
default_photo.png Target
Shooting

Anschutz 54 model 1413

default_photo.png  
Hello    Are you still interested in Anschutz 54 model 1413? If yes email me at michaelsmithlyn@gmail.com for more information. Thank you .

Had this response from Target to contact him, I did not reply.

The problem is , its not so much the scammers selling on the sales, as them answering the wanted's, as the most recent ones have been,  and I think that would be very difficult or impractical to police?  it would involve new members being banned from replying to wanted's, or PM'ing,  before they have done thread contributions, is that possible or practical? 

When you sort that, can you stop me being phoned 5 times a day with scamms!

Take care and Have fun

Robin

1 hour ago, RobinC said:

The problem is , its not so much the scammers selling on the sales, as them answering the wanted's, as the most recent ones have been,  and I think that would be very difficult or impractical to police?

I wonder, would it be feasible to lock the pm functionality for new accounts? That way, interest in "Wanted" ads would have to be out in the open - on the forum?

On 02/03/2021 at 10:54, A.J.P. said:

I wonder, would it be feasible to lock the pm functionality for new accounts? That way, interest in "Wanted" ads would have to be out in the open - on the forum?

Found a forum plugin to do just that.

No new member can send PMs until they actively contribute to the forum with a minimum of 10 posts ;)

4 hours ago, neil said:

Found a forum plugin to do just that.

No new member can send PMs until they actively contribute to the forum with a minimum of 10 posts ;)

Aaaand, this is my tenth post! 😅 Glad to hear you've hopefully found a solution to the issue 👍