Head space gauges for .22 Anschutz.

acormack

Anyone know where you can buy head space gauges & shims from or have a set they aren't using? Had a look online but don't see anything about, did Barry Nessom make them at one point? My sons 1907 bolt was tight on closing since I got it and have a suspicion it's been shimmed up, any ideas other that head space??

Any guidance or info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Alan

Yes, Barry makes headspace gauges. He did quote me a price, but I can't remember now. Search the forum under his name for his phone no. 

Headspace shims go between the handle and the bolt body. Undo the end cap and slide out the firing pin and handle. The shim will be on the body, or stuck to the handle with oil/grease. 

If the bolt is tight to close I would suspect cleanliness before insufficient headspace. Bullet engagement with the rifling is 2-3mm vs a few thousands of an inch for headspace. Give the chamber a good scrub with a bronze brush and solvent, and clean the breech and bolt; pay attention to the claws and their recesses in the barrel. The trigger "timing" can also make the bolt rather tight. See the recent posts in the "Cleaning and Maintenance" section for details. I have no issues with a headspace of 0.041in and Eley EPS; Lapua and RWS seem to have fractionally thicker rims, and would be slightly harder. 

• 1 month later...