Starter Pistol for 8 Year old girl

Jimlad

Hi All

Looking for some advice and possible pistol, 8 year old girl starting pistol shooting with pony club,

all my experience with rifles, any advice on a make and model of pistol, what should I be looking for?

Thanks Jim

Edited by Jimlad

Try PM’ing John Marchant as he is a pistol coach and could probably provide advice. My three h’aporth Is that you would need something with a short trigger reach and the only pistol I can think of that fulfils that requirement is the FAS 604. 

Rutty

thanks for the info

Morning Jim,

I would agree with Rutty that possibly the FAS604 or the replacement FAS6004 might be suitable, as it is relatively light albeit needing some effort to cock it. These could be at the relatively economical end of the price scale if you can find one.

As an alternative pistol that can be grown into, the Hammerli AP20 might be worth looking at. This pistol has a relatively small grip, looks modern and will outshoot your daughter for many years. This is a PCP air pistol which would need the cylinders refilling from a dive cylinder. Unfortunately being a newer style of pistol, the price tends to go up, even if you find a second hand one.

You might be able to get some ideas from the other shooters at the pony club or even from the people running the shooting range.

Hope that this might be of some help to you.

Regards John

37 minutes ago, John Marchant said:

I would agree with Rutty that possibly the FAS604 or the replacement FAS6004 might be suitable, as it is relatively light albeit needing some effort to cock it.

Bear in mind John that under a Pony Club Rules she would be permitted to have the assistance of a loader. This would mitigate the cocking issue.

Many FAS 604s haven’t been used for years and as a result need the seals replacing. It’s not a big job and worth doing. 

Rutty

Thanks All

Jim