Anschutz Match 54 wanted (please see post)

Warwick34

16 minutes ago, tim s said:

Very nice, a late model 1813 I think. That should fit better in Prone than the 1811.

Thanks Tim, 

I passed on the initial 2 that we spoke about.  This was down in Maidstone which resulted in a 10 hour round trip due to the M25 and Saturday traffic but worth it. 

One thing that did leave me scratching my head was, yesterday at the range, I was setting up my scope and testing Eley Club, R50 and Lapua Centre X, maybe 70 rounds in total, and with all of the brands at least on half a dozen occasions, the round would not fully eject? 

I spoke to the seller who was also an RFD and he seems to think that it's to do with the ejector ramp? So he's sending one out to me. 

Hopefully this will cure the issue? 

Yep, the ejector is the little blade in the loading tray. It sticks out under the receiver and is held in place with a spring. Over time and many thousands of impacts, the front can wear. 

I'd also give the extractor claws a very thorough clean to ensure it pings back smartly. You can remove these fairly easily with a small screwdriver. There are instructions on the cleaning section. It won't hurt to clean the relief slots in the barrel so the claws can snap over the rim. A toothpick and a few cotton buds with 009 (or other cleaning fluid) will do the job. 

5 minutes ago, tim s said:

Yep, the ejector is the little blade in the loading tray. It sticks out under the receiver and is held in place with a spring. Over time and many thousands of impacts, the front can wear. 

I'd also give the extractor claws a very thorough clean to ensure it pings back smartly. You can remove these fairly easily with a small screwdriver. There are instructions on the cleaning section. It won't hurt to clean the relief slots in the barrel so the claws can snap over the rim. A toothpick and a few cotton buds with 009 (or other cleaning fluid) will do the job. 

Thanks Tim, so nothing to worry too much about then? 

1 hour ago, Warwick34 said:

Thanks Tim, so nothing to worry too much about then? 

Most Match 54 target rifles extract and eject well, even if a bit grubby. Ejection isn't as forceful as a BSA International, but few rifles are. Match 54s made before 1965 can be trickier, as these have a single claw, and cases can pop out before reaching the ejector. The left hand claw (properly a cartridge holder) helps to retain the case. 

Dirt can gum up the claws, and springs underneath, so these don't release cases promptly. I don't know of springs being replaced, but it must happen. The extractor (right hand) claw sometimes needs shaping with a stone; I'd guess when Anschutz adjusted headspace during assembly by relieving the bolt face. 

• 1 month later...
On 02/09/2019 at 08:34, K.Loukas said:

Hi 

I Just edited the post as I had some feedback the actual model is an 1813 I'm waiting for more info as for year of manufacture ext from Anschutz.

Kosta

Kosta, if your barrel is stainless then it's unlikely to be an Anschutz one. Unfortunately that's where the date stamp (two letters or year digits) would have been. You could however post the first 3 or 4 digits of the serial number here (which should be on the action) and achieve an estimated year from the hive mind.

Edited by Huey

45 minutes ago, Huey said:

Kosta, if your barrel is stainless then it's unlikely to be an Anschutz one. Unfortunately that's where the date stamp (two letters or year digits) would have been. You could however post the first 3 or 4 digits of the serial number here (which should be on the action) and achieve an estimated year from the hive mind.

The action was early 1980s, and the barrel proofed in 1994, possibly a Border or Maddco. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 25/10/2019 at 18:48, Huey said:

Hi Huey

The barrel is diffidently not Anschuts based on the information a had is ether Border or Maddco. The year of manufacture based on the serial number is approx. 1982.

I have emailed Anschuts asking for info but unfortunately I had no reply back