Anschutz Match 54 wanted (please see post)

Warwick34

Hello all, I'm new to small bore target shooting.  I am looking for a dedicated target rifle for mainly benchrest shooting and possibly prone at some stage. 

My current rifle is more of a hunter so not ideal for club shooting. 

The reason that I'm looking for an older 54 is that a few of the club regulars have all stated that the older 54 is a good rifle to have for dedicated targets for not much money? 

I have been looking for one for the past few days I've been left scratching my head as there are so many models of the 54 with varying degrees of price. 

If anyone can point me in the right direction then I will be very greatful. 

Hi There 

I Just put an add up for selling my Anschutz 19?? with stainless steel Barrel in wooden stock.

the rifle was my start up rifle and I'm selling because I'm upgrading.

take a look at the add and let me know if you want more photos or any other info

Hi Warwick34,

I reckon that you can use a Prone rifle for benchrest but it will be difficult to use a benchrest rifle for prone.

Therefore I suggest you practice some prone and find out from experience what style of stock will suit you best before you decide what to buy.

I expect that any Match 54 will be accurate enough if it is in good condition, but the model of the stock and the fittings like the butt-plate and cheek-piece will make a big difference to whether it fits you and suits you. Also consider the trigger weight that you like and whether the rifle's trigger can be adjusted satisfactorily to it. You may prefer a single stage or two stage trigger. Some trigger models can be adjusted to either, especially the latest ones. Be aware that the Anschutz "Modern Trigger" is not the latest one! It is an older model.

Alternatively, of course, you could buy a cheap M54 for benchrest and purchase another if you do decide to also take up prone shooting. You would not then have to change lots of adjustments when changing from benchrest to prone, which might be on the same day at the same match.

I have a Match 54 I might sell, it is quite accurate and I have the original wooden stock for it. Only the position of the buttplate can be adjusted.

I also have a Keppeler alloy stock which fits it and has many more adjustment possibilities. Of course, the alloy stock costs much more than the rifle!

It would also be possible to use the wooden stock for benchrest and the alloy one for prone, as it is a two bolt quick-change.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

thanks for the reply.  All of this searching was started after I shot an old BSA international at my now new club. After spending a couple of hours shooting my CZ455 with its heavy trigger (even though I put in a light spring kit) , it still felt way too heavy.  Then a chap offered to let me try his BSA and the trigger was so much sweeter.  I come from air rifles and they were mainly Daystates, Ripley's, FWB's and my Steyr.  The BSA trigger felt as smooth as sopme of my tuned sub 12s.  This then led on to someone mentioning a match 54, so...here I am.

I've spent the past few days trying to decipher model numbers, stocks, barrel lengths and weight, stage 1 or 2 triggers etc etc...it's gotten very overwhelming to say the least.  Currently I have a handful of match and supermatch rifles bookmarked.  One is a nice and clean 1813 in an Anschutz benchrest stock and the other is an alleged crossover year supermatch with 5071 trigger (don't ask me what that means it's way over my pay grade).

Anyway, I have some cash waiting for a decent gun but I'm still scratching my head which is the model to go for?

ps..I agree with what you said regarding type of stock etc above 😀

Warwick, 

If it helps, parts for the 1813 are still readily available. The bolt, firing pin, springs, and trigger are the same as the 1913. The trigger is the same as the 54.30.

The "Transitional" Supermatch is a 1613. These are a transition (missing link) between the old Match 54 and 1813/1913. The bolt and trigger are superficially similar to the 1813/1913 but certain critical parts are different, and not interchangeable. Anschutz do not make 2613 bolt parts and triggers, and parts are drying up. 

22 minutes ago, tim s said:

Warwick, 

If it helps, parts for the 1813 are still readily available. The bolt, firing pin, springs, and trigger are the same as the 1913. The trigger is the same as the 54.30.

The "Transitional" Supermatch is a 1613. These are a transition (missing link) between the old Match 54 and 1813/1913. The bolt and trigger are superficially similar to the 1813/1913 but certain critical parts are different, and not interchangeable. Anschutz do not make 2613 bolt parts and triggers, and parts are drying up. 

Thanks Tim,

Can I ask, if you had to chose between the 1813 supermatch in a benchrest stock and the 'transitional' 54 with all the furniture at roughly the same price, which would you go for?

I only shoot Prone, so it's a no brainer for me. If you're shooting NSRA benchrest (front rest only, and butt on the shoulder) and prone, I'd pick something that works for both. That's unless one is in far better condition, or the price of the BR-stocked rifle leaves room for a second stock and sights. 

Functionally a 1613 and an 1813/1913 are almost identical. 

8 hours ago, tim s said:

I only shoot Prone, so it's a no brainer for me. If you're shooting NSRA benchrest (front rest only, and butt on the shoulder) and prone, I'd pick something that works for both. That's unless one is in far better condition, or the price of the BR-stocked rifle leaves room for a second stock and sights. 

Functionally a 1613 and an 1813/1913 are almost identical. 

Unfortunately /fortunately, they're both the same price, both the same time and distance apart, only one is north the other south.  Condition wise the barrel and actions look good on both, the stock is better on the transitional rifle and that comes with all the furniture and diopter etc 

In some ways that's an enviable situation. The Supermatch will work better for NSRA BR than the BR will work for Prone. If you'll shoot Prone regularly, the 1613 is ready to go. But, if you'll only shoot Prone once in a blue moon, would a club rifle do? 

7 hours ago, RJP345 said:

Ai! We want to know what you decided now! 😄

1813 Supermatch (minus the scope and rings) an absolute nightmare of a journey thanks to the M25 but got there in the end. 

Had a good day at the 50m range yesterday too👍