BORROW Rear sight iris spanner new style

jimrward

Does anyone have a new style gehmann/centra rear iris spanner I can BORROW 

recently purchased a rear sight on fleabay which came with an iris attached which does not have a normal C spanner locking nut more of a grooved ring with grooves every 1-2mm I need to remove the iris and normal long nose pliers I have won’t grip it and I fear may damage it with force also don’t want to use the iris as a lever by rotation as it’s on tight

i don’t wish to pay over £12 to buy for one off usage but willing to pay postage both ways to borrow one

it’s not a regular C spanner or the one with a single lug it might be one with 3 lugs I am only guessing by the pic on intershoot 

Edited by jimrward

Isnt that ring screwed onto the threaded shaft that goes into the rear sight, and the purpose of the ring is to act a a lock-nut. If the iris threaded part has flats upon it, try using a small appropriate sized spanner to turn it anti clockwise. Sometimes the whole unit will then unscrew, failing that, I think I have one or two different sized c spanners that are for those rings.

Try aiming the heat from a hair dryer onto the ring, once warm it should come off, careful not to damage the sight or set fire to your hair!

Jonty

@raven delicate I am not it will not twist off with reasonable force to the point I don’t want to break the iris internally 

@jonty wtf is a hairdryer 

it does not have flats on it otherwise I would have used a standard C spanner as supplied by gehmann or centra or indeed a pair of long nose pliers

Not seen anything like that before. Plumbers pipe grips are thinner than standard grips, they may fit in the gap and you can apply plenty of pressure. 

As perthe hairdryer,  I had a screw in a barrel that refused to come out, Applying heat allowed to to be freed.

Look around your shooting colleagues, find one with some hair and make the big ask!

• 2 weeks later...