BSA MK1 extractor claw wanted

omega1

As per title has anyone got a MK1 extractor claw surplus to requirements.

I have a spare MK2 claw but this will not fit a MK1 ☹️

We have just modified this rifle with a  scope mount from the Rifle Shed for bench rest shooting, for a young lady, and now the claw has broken.

If anyone has one or can point me in the right direction to obtain one I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance  Kevin

You could try Jim Hallam at Bisley. If you Google him, you will find references, incl. to his website and tel. nos, though the site has not been updated since 2014. He used to have lots of those BSAs and doubtless spares for them. I believe he is still active and he sounds like a good chap. Mk I BSAs must be a bit thin on the ground by now, however. Good luck.

Knibbs is fine for some spares but quite a few, though advertised, turn out on closer inspection to be no longer available. I don't recall seeing a Mk 1 ejector claw on his site but perhaps I am wrong.

Just checked his site. Only Mk 2 - 5 ejector claws advertised and, yep, they are 'no longer available'.

Edited by Cumbrian
additional information

Thanks for info Mark but as per Cumbrian's reply he hasn't any listed and the Mark 2 claws he lists are no longer available.

Drew a blank with Jim Hallam as well who stated that they are "rarer than hens teeth" and then some.

Beginning to look like the rifle will have to be scrapped ☹️

Have you thought about having one made, or, see if you can have the part welded. Modern technology should make it possible, and being an ejector claw it is not under any great stress or strain.  Should at least put you on until you do find one.

(A model maker should be able to machine you one from the broken ones dimensions.)

Jonty

Edited by jonty

I think I remember seeing an advert for brand new, 'made in the USA', BSA ejector claws, probably for Mk.2s however. The guy might make one for you, he seems skilled enough, but a cheaper option might well be to find another Mk 1 (one was advertised quite recently on Guntrader or Gunstar) or to go for a Mk 2 or later, which exist in useful numbers. Exporting gun parts from the US can be very difficult, too. Otherwise, I agree with Jonty.

Found it. It is on Gunstar under 'BSA International Target Lever Action'  but it lacks the entire action, incl of course the ejector claw. Many apologies.

Edited by Cumbrian
mistake

Thanks for your inputs lads but I always thought it was a bit of a long shot (excuse the pun) locating one.

I dont think welding would be an option in view of where it has broken.

The bearing part where the  pin goes through.

Having one made I would think would be prohibitive especially as Jim Hallam tried to get some made in India to keep costs down and they were still much too expensive.

Looks like it will have to be scrapped and  the lady will have to shoot an anschutz when I can arrange to get it transferred onto my ticket in place of the MK 1.

PS Anyone want to buy a scope rail for a BSA which mounts on the sight side rail. https://shootingshed.co.uk/oscom/product_info.php?cPath=111&products_id=195&osCsid=60559631cb795c458f4756b0e141a200  bought 3 months ago with a set of nikkon weaver type mounts.

Omega1, please do not scrap the rifle off as they are great little things and deserve to be shot as often as possible.  I managed to find an extractor for a Mk1 earlier this year so they do exist however they are pricey, from memory the last one was GBP60.00 plus some shipping. If you want to me to try and track down a spare please give me a shout.

(Your 'scope bracket came from us)

I've been tidying cupboards in the Club armoury and have found a tin box of bits which I've tentatively identified as BSA Martini spares  -  a variety of items which could easily pass as medieval torture implements.   Coil springs, pins, trigger blades, various complicated but extremely sturdy lumps of metal which are almost certainly the extractors you describe  -  although the chances of them being Mk 1 are probably slight.     If there are any images or measurements, let me know and i'll have a hunt.     Probably going to unload them as a job lot on ebay  unless someone can suggest something better  -  no use to us any more.

Patrick

Hello all

Just tidying up this thread.

The BSA has been scrapped because, as we have no armoury,  our weapons are kept on private FAC's.

Unfortunately it wasn't an option to keep something that may be serviceable sometime in the distant future.

The space in my cabinet will be taken up with another club weapon, which requires a new home, due to a member, holding the weapon, leaving the club.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Kevin