BSAs

arny1000

You might like to advertise the fact that one is a Mk 3 with fully floated barrel (but apparently no sights, which would be expensive to acquire separately). If the hanger for the fully floated arrangement is in good condition (which it probably won't be if the rifle has ever been dropped), the Mk 3 would still be a desirable rifle. Good luck - these BSAs do still sell, if the price is realistic. 

1 hour ago, majex45 said:

What happened to the butt on the MK II? It looks to be a replacement.

Which county are these in?

That's a Mk 4 or 5 I think, so the up-down alloy butt is correct. I'd say the wood has been shortened, so the metal now stands proud. 

On 23/07/2018 at 22:22, tim s said:

That's a Mk 4 or 5 I think, so the up-down alloy butt is correct. I'd say the wood has been shortened, so the metal now stands proud. 

As you might expect,  Tim is spot on in both respects.

Pity that someone stained and varnished the butt (look at the Mk 3 for some very nice walnut). IIRC, the stock-to-action bolts for the Mk 2s and 3s are not the same as those for the Mk 4s and Mk 5s, so there may have been some clever adjustment internally in this case. The bolts, by the way, defeat most long shaft screw drivers in my experience. I had a T bar screw driver specially made, with a broad and quite thick end, to tackle the heads on the bolts of my BSAs. And, unfortunately, in my opinion at least, it is necessary to get the butt off for proper cleaning of the barrel.

Edited by Cumbrian