Centra Vibrake

Environs

Hi After 2nd hand Centra-MEC Vibrake, for Anschutz dovetail, preferably the longer version, but Std ok. Seller needs to be open to posting to New Zealand at buyers expense.

Thanks

Glen

Vibrake_4000X4000_S_01_10d4642cc1.png

Apologies if this is too much of a digression, but do these things really make a difference? I can see from looking at my Anschutz 1800 actions that a lot, in my opinion too much, metal has been cut away to facilitate access to the loading port, so the whole structure is weakened, but how much effect does this have on the way the rifle performs? With very limited knowledge of physics and engineering, I'd be grateful to be enlightened.

For me its not so much about stiffening the action, as Im getting into benchrest shooting and want flexability to position scope rings as far forward as possible and if necessary directly over loading port.

Looks like I have an offer for one from the States, from member off TargetTalk forum.

Thanks

Glen

Hi Glen I went a similar way but just used an Anschutz one. TSNZ got me the long scope base in, probably doesn't do the stiffening part but does get the scope well forward.

Martin

38 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

Walther decided it was important so they included it on their KK500 as standard (or at least their marketing department decided it was important!!).  It makes fast loading tricky though!

The KK500 appears to be quite a lot stiffer than an Anschutz 54, especially in vertical axis. Is the raiser really a stiffener, or a bridge to compensate for the short action and double loading port for rearsight position? 

I certainly only use mine to provide rails over the loading port which is where I position my sight's clamps. I have no doubt it makes naff all difference to stiffness (especially on a 20-series) and I do have to pull out the odd case that spins inside the loading port in preference to being ejected.

I suspect the Anschutz variant may provide notionally greater stiffness (though still close to naff all) as it is based on a tube rather than flat plate and the clamps are longer, but there is less flexibility (no pun intended :)of sight placement as is directly attached to the sight itself.

H.

On 30/05/2018 at 21:16, Environs said:

Looks like I have an offer for one from the States, from member off TargetTalk forum.

Glen, if that doesn't work out, email Edinkillie for a quote. Nothing to say they don't post overseas on their website...

Not quite what I was hoping for but should do the job. Its not the longer extender version, also is closed off on one side so can't be flipped around, but still a great replacement for homemade steel one I have.

Vibrake.jpeg

Aren't all Vibrakes closed on one side? 

Glad you found one though. 

The KK500 one is purely a sight raiser and also a rail over the port, although on the KK500 there is also a full rail over the port on the action. The sight line is so low that I've never seen any one who shoots with out it on.

The KK500 on also works nicely on a KK300 for any one who wants the sights a long way forward.

Yes thats right, I had a closer look at mine last night.

I have to use all the raising blocks front and back to avoid having to hunch down to see thought he sights.  It actually helps when we shoot out to 500 yards though as I can do that just just removing the front blocks.

On 04/06/2018 at 18:35, tim s said:

Aren't all Vibrakes closed on one side? 

Glad you found one though. 

See the first picture I posted. To me it looks like it flares up on both sides on top, so I assumed it was open both sides on the bottom?

1 hour ago, Environs said:

See the first picture I posted. To me it looks like it flares up on both sides on top, so I assumed it was open both sides on the bottom?

I think mine was flared left and right, but only open on the right. The left side could probably be machined into an opening.