Spotting Scope

Neilj62

I am after some advice or ideas on spotting scopes.

I am currently using an old Kowa 20x and was wondering what other shooters would recommend in the £600 ish price bracket, and would you suggest zoom or fixed focus?

Thanks in anticipation ?

I use one of those Greenkat/Opticron angled eyepiece scopes, with a 22x eyepiece in it. It's almost 20 years old now, and as I haven't abused it it's still clear at 100 yards to the point where I can call "just out" in most light conditions...

They're still comparably cheap, so for £600 I would expect you to be able to get something like this.

I'm using a Kowa 660 angled with a 20x40 zoom. The optics are first class, as you'd expect for the money.Mine was £400 a few years ago and the prices seem to have skyrocketed lately.

I never use the zoom on x40 as the field of view is too narrow, bright and clear but you will have to have your eye right on the eyepiece, fine at just under x30 for 100yrd, so long as you have a twiddly thing for dropping the scope down to the other targets as you shoot.

I don't know if you can get the 20x40 zoom now, seems to be 20x60 which unless it's a wide angle one would be worse I would think.

The x20 is ok for indoor 25rds but again could do with a WA.

I would if I was buying again probably go with a WA x25 fixed, if you can get them, although the zoom is handy at times.

Field of view/long eye relief is what you need for shooting use, so try as many as you can I would suggest.