View New Posts

CliveG

I don't know about anyone else, but the first thing I do whenever I come here is click on the View New Posts link near the top of the page. Sometimes, there are no new posts to look at - which is fine, except that I am presented with an error message, that directs me to the help files. Almost as an afterthought, it suggests that it's possible that there are no matches to show.

Now, call me picky if you will (and I'm sure that someone will :rolleyes: - I've been called much worse in my time), but I think finding no new posts is a perfectly valid result of a search, and shouldn't be reported as an error.

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show.

You're right Clive and it should be an 'information' message and not an error.

I thought exactly the same when I first saw it. The authors have just used an

error dialog for all messages shown to users - not ideal I know :unsure:

• 5 years later...

You're right Clive and it should be an 'information' message and not an error.

I thought exactly the same when I first saw it. The authors have just used an

error dialog for all messages shown to users - not ideal I know :unsure:

Neil,

Has this useful feature disappeared in the new version or am I just too thick to find it?

Regards,

Niall

PS Like the rest of the Mk II

Has this useful feature disappeared in the new version or am I just too thick to find it?

If you're talking about the "View New Posts" button then that has been replaced by "View New Content" (just under the search button). I wouldn't be so rude as to answer the second part of your question. <_<

If you're talking about the incorrect error message then I'm not getting it with the new version, only "Sorry, no new content found."

Hello,

Although in the absence of new content an error message was displayed, the old 'View New Posts' feature did otherwise seem to work well. Whereas, if I follow the new 'View New Content' hyperlink, then it appears that information is somewhat outdated (with 3 posts from 06-07-09 being the most recent content available).

Do I perhaps need to make an adjustment to my browser or is there some other method of finding new posts?

Best regards,

NaN

Do I perhaps need to make an adjustment to my browser or is there some other method of finding new posts?

Best regards,

NaN

I just look for categories in dark blue, and the bright green spot on the sub-category folder. That indicates new posts (in both IE and firefox).

Rob.

Whereas, if I follow the new 'View New Content' hyperlink, then it appears that information is somewhat outdated (with 3 posts from 06-07-09 being the most recent content available).

It works perfectly for me on all of the (5) machines I use. They all run IE7 on XP Pro SP3.

When the board was upgraded I had to "Mark board as Read" -- bottom of the screen, otherwise it showed all posts as new content. Since I did that, the View New Content works ok for me.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the things I've noticed is that the view new content page only seems to display 'new' threads but not new posts to a previously read thread.

Is there some other setting or new function I need to use?

Not sure if it's my age or Cornish roots showing

One of the things I've noticed is that the view new content page only seems to display 'new' threads but not new posts to a previously read thread.

Is there some other setting or new function I need to use?

Not sure if it's my age or Cornish roots showing

That's not how it works for me. I get new posts whether or not they are in new threads.

I use the following lik to get them:-

http://forum.stirton.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=new_posts&search_filter_app[forums]=1