Aj Parker M80 Sight

Anschutzfan

Hi,

Does anyone by any chance have a P14 mounting plate for the AJ parker M80 rear sight, either for sale or one they could do a diagram of so i can machine one up.

I have reached one of those stumped moments having tried all the usual suppliers and now realize what a long shot this is.

Many thanks and rgds

al

I'll try and post a picture tonight then you can tell me if it's the sort of thing you're looking for. If so, then what measurements you want :)

When I needed the unit on my Fulton Mauser fixing about ten years ago AJP were still going in Birmingham. I was able to get a reconditioned replacement from them for quite reasonable money. IIRC I "found" them in an online telephone directory listing.

Alan

Am I warm?

That looks to me like the Parker Hale sight, not the AJ Parker. IIRC the PH has the triangular looking dovetail fitting for the windage arm to slide in, while the AJP has the rectangular dovetail slide. When I was shooting in the RAF the issue L39 (No4 target rifle conversion in 7.62) had the Parker Hale sight, of the type in those photos, while my Fulton Mauser has the AJP, specifically the TZ80. The one pictured in the ebay link is the same type as my AJP TZ80.

The elevation block and windage arm look to be the same on that M80 as on my TZ80, but the mounting block, which is what I believe is the issue is the difference. As I now have a scope fitted to the rifle, to shoot it in F/TR I have the sights sitting in a box, if reference to them would be of use. The Mauser K98 mounting is very different to the Lee Enfield fitting though.

Alan

Morning, thanks for the help Huey and everyone.

Had a look last night, The M80 i have been offered looks like the one on Ebay only without the mounting bracket, the one in Huey's photos looks like one that doesn't need a mounting plate/bracket. I wonder if BigAl is right and Huey's is a PH not AJ.

Ironically the M80 is i am told the last and best version however its the one there is least info about.

Will take some photo's tonight to try and highlight the prob a bit better, in the meantime as an aside - while looking for info on the sight i found this:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/industrial-sites/25810-alfred-parker-ltd-armoury-birmingham-jan-2013-a.html#.VmF2Pqf1G1E

Sad..

Thanks and regards

al

Shame about that site. mind you it would be good if they had actually put the details of the correct company. AJP and PH were two completely separate companies, which it would seem neither now no longer exist. Although John Rothery Wholesale now own the rights to the Parker Hale name.

Alan

Best bet, visit with the rifle and sight to Fultons, they have drawers of old stuff and will probably find some thing to fit or have another sight that will fit.

PS Hi Alan, hope you are well.

Robin

Edited by RobinC

The sight you have been offered will only fit Mauser or poss Musgrave & poss Swing too if the mount is modified. To fit a sight on a P14 its mounted with an integral tang & plug that goes under the bolt retaining leaf spring or a fork & a plug with a lug on it to go under the spring. Its then held secure by the axis pin thru the sight 'ears'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parker-Hale-PH5B-P14-Enfield-Aperture-sight-Pattern-1914-/321934657017?hash=item4af4cd05f9:g:sR0AAOSwcBhWUll1 you can see that as the brass bit bottom of pic 2 (but that sight has been repaired to braze a pin on)

The only way to fit the sight you haev been offered to your P14 is to drill holes thru the left ear & bolt it directly on. but you may then not have equal windage left & right as it may not be mechanically central (will be close).

The M80 might be 'better' than other sights but if the sight is 1/4 moa windage & works with no backlash then other P14 sights will work as well on a P14. They all have the drawback of the small Redfield PH thread eyepiece so less light.

This might work but again you need to drill the ears to fit it. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Parker-Hale-model-TZ-M68-rear-sight-and-mount/161901502275?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3De1a3b264f5694b35ab7b5f8cadcd10cc%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252190841706

I have a good working std PH5B but its 1/2 moa windage, but tbh thats good enough for a P14. £80 inc post.

also beware the twin zero is probably erroneous many were calculated for cordite 303 (thats faster than current PPU 174grain 303) & not 7.62nato ball & certainly not 308win so they will never align. You need to properly zero the rifle & slip the plates so 300yds = 3moa & write down the settings per distance. 500 =7, 600=13 etc

good luck.

Morning,

Well i owe you all a big thank you, the seller offering it was adamant the M80 could be fitted to the P14 if i found the right plate, If i had bought it i would have been snookered - I really don't want to drill or damage the rifle in any way (ta for the warning Hitchphil) its too good to muck it around.

One piece of advice i have been given over this is the best sight you can stick on the p14 for target work is a John Wilkes, they can definitely be fitted and were very popular, Designed by Svenson, 1/4moa adjustment and the dogs danglies for a p14 target conversion.

Does that sound like a good idea?

You guys have saved me getting ripped off, so beers on me at Bisley next year.

rgds

al

Svenson & Willkes = Swing. The sight you are talking about is a Swing rearsight. Trouble is the P14 conversion mount plate for that is as rare as unicorn poo. Watch ebay a PH5B with 1/4 moa windage or a PH 3/53Z.

Good thing about Swing rearsight is it has windage knobs both sides so a coach can easily use the sight too.