Air Pistol

neil

I'm looking for a lightweight pistol for my sisters. They are 7,9 & 11 and have

just started triathalon, with air pistol shooting being one part of it.

Bearing in mind their age and expertise something simple and lightweight

(and cheap) is the main criteria.

Anyone have/know of a suitable air pistol?

Thanks

Hi Neil,

LRC were doing a special kit aimed at juniors a short while ago. Scout units and the likes. I seem to remember a light weight Gamo pistol, very cheap.

An excellent pistol to start with, very easy to use and no pre-charge cylinder to worry about.

A good cheap way to learn the basics before up grading to pre-charged pistols.

regards

Ant

I might be inclined to suggest something like a Tau that uses CO2 cartridges. I find that juniors often have big trouble cocking other air pistols - doing that can hardly help their shooting either. Failing that get something like a steyr LP1 second hand. Probably cost something like 400+ quid so perhaps too pricey - but you wouldn't need to upgrade it - and you could have a couple of grips if needed.

Rob.

Is it with the Pony club but I'll be honest and thought that some of the pistol

pro's on here would have a better idea :D

Fair enough. ;) Though we bought a pistol from pony club for £60. OK, so it was certainly not a good one, but it was good enough for us because the targets are huge and we didn't need a better one.

Are they still starting youngsters off shooting double-handed?

Good luck to them. :D

I suggest the are two ways of looking at this requirement. Through this board and contacts, option two could be explored.

ONE

The light weight pistols will not be much use for serious 10m shooting, however, they are very good for junior shooters to introduce them to the sport and shoot adequately at 7m (Pony Club et al) and 6 yards. These are generally CO2 cylinder units the triggers are a bit agricultural but grips surprisingly good. You will probably sell the unit for a decent price as the Pony Club is getting more serious on the shooting side should you want to upgrade. Shooting two handed will assist the hold but not adequately address the core skills required when they are older.

TWO

In Scandinavian and other countries, a counter weight system is used that cradles the underside of the pistol cylinder and over a pulley wheel to a counterweight (I wish I had a picture of one).This enables more competitive pistols to be used so that sighting and trigger are primary skills and correctly developed. I recall at 10-14 flailing about holding the air pistol and snatching the shot off as the sights may have looked OK a few moments ago, (some say this continues today :huh: !) As the juniors get older, the counter weight is gradually reduced, in your case, different weights can be used to help develop the muscle sets but at a sensible rate for your three. I do not believe any UK competitions permit this assist for junior shooters but have seen it provided at some serious matches in Germany and Finland. Accordingly, you may want to get a light weight trainer but create a cradle to help them learn?

Neil,

I thought they were about 250 quid or so ? We have two as club guns and they seem fairly reliable and I don't recall them being too heavy. I think we may have got them from the NSRA so have a look at their price list (assuming the website is up for a change :D ).

Rob.

Mac,

Many thanks, this is spot on!

Any ideas of commercial or home-built supplies would be very handy.

Paul

LOL

My sisters were told that they could get one from Sloan's (a shop just

outside Aberdeen) for around £150. I will find out what kind it is.

Cheers