New (Yes, New) Anschutz Screws For Old Anschutz Match 54

chunter177

Hi guys,

Where does one get new bedding screws and butt-plate screws for an old Anschutz? I think I need to freshen these up.

Any guidance much appreciated. If you know of dealers who can source long since updated parts I'd be grateful of their contact details.

Many thanks,

Chris

There have been many entries on here about replacement bolts/screws and peoples guidance.

My extra input is that you replace the action 'screws' with the slotted heads with bolts with 'Allen keyed' heads.

The bolts are Metric Fine thread, so are very hard to get off the shelf. One way would be to have your local engineer rethread a standard M6 (if I remember the size correctly) bolt which is only threaded part way down the bolt, with M6 Fine thread, to the same length as your existing bolts/screws. I think one of the heads also needs reducing in diameter to enable it enter the stock.

You can then use a Torque wrench on the bolts for accurate, consistent fastening.

The bolts you buy are usually hardened tensile steel and will need 'tempering' to allow a thread to be cut onto them. I managed to buy a thread die, but it cut a poor thread on the early versions due to the hardness of the steel and soon wore out the die. I then tempered, cut the thread with a new die then re-hardened the bolts. (I must have been mad).

Sounds complicated, yes it is a bit.

Most of the bolts on the buttplate are standard with the exception of the bolt that fastens the hook to the plate. Again its metric fine. (Lets not go there again) I think you would struggle to get one of these off the shelf and are very hard to source (But Anschutz should have them).

Jonty

Edited by jonty

Thanks Jonty for that insightful post - maybe I'll try some engineering friends to see if they can help.

Hitchphil - thanks also. I might have a chat with Ryan and see what gives.

Do you guys know of anschutz spares dealers though?

If you have the originals you should be able to 'match' them from a good tool shop. If you are coming to Bisley, try AHC Camberley - on the A30, on the left going south. The guys there are really helpful - I take the old/worn screw or bolt in and they will match it (generally a LOT cheaper than 'gunsmith' prices)