Anschutz Smallbore Target Rifle For Sale

Guest olnmfc

Thanks for all the info. The top of the barrel has Anschutz Match 54. I bought the stock from Sarah Brown and the action/barrel came from RAF Leuchars where it had hardly done any shooting. In the last few years in my ownership I'll only have put a few hundred rounds through it. Would the action number help 177241. I've got a copy of the Anschutz manual included in the sale (see photo) & it's for the 18 series which refers to this bolt being Match 54. - In the word of the Club's Chair it's a very competitive rifle. I can throw in an older sling glove and ear defenders along with everything seen in the pics etc to make a fairly complete starters kit. The price at £650 is negotiable but never the less I think still reasonable considering the sum of all the parts.

Thanks for all the info. The top of the barrel has Anschutz Match 54. I bought the stock from Sarah Brown and the action/barrel came from RAF Leuchars where it had hardly done any shooting. In the last few years in my ownership I'll only have put a few hundred rounds through it. Would the action number help 177241. I've got a copy of the Anschutz manual included in the sale (see photo) & it's for the 18 series which refers to this bolt being Match 54. - In the word of the Club's Chair it's a very competitive rifle. I can throw in an older sling glove and ear defenders along with everything seen in the pics etc to make a fairly complete starters kit. The price at £650 is negotiable but never the less I think still reasonable considering the sum of all the parts.

B*gger, I remember now why I stopped gambling. Well done Tim (again).

I didnt realise what Ark Fitz mentioned, that you can/could get the swept back handles to replace the ones on the 14 series. Has anyone got one for sale?

Having said that, have things come full circle, as the Bleiker and i think the new FWB have straight handles.

Jonty

J,

yes you can get curved handles for 1400 rifles. I've seen Matthias et al fit them at the Bisley service stand. Like any replacement handle, I think they need to be fitted to the rifle, not a drop in part. Also as the handle is a pressure bearing part it's proofed and I think would need to be listed on your FAC if you want a spare.

FWB have never had a swept back handle, your memory is playing tricks. The handle was curved, but like a gull-wing.

Thanks Tim S - I'll check those two point re the trigger guard and bolt

olnmfc,

It was the trigger unit Tim referred to, the part that is bolted to the action with the two small bolts, not the trigger guard.

Tim,

By swept back, I meant curved. I had a 2602 and a 2700 and they were both curved.

Jonty

Yep, I meant the trigger mechanism itself. Besides there's no point in checking your triggerguard, because it (and the stock) are later replacements.

John, as I said before, FWB bolt handles have never been swept back. The handle is bent upwards, but not curved backwards.

B*gger, I remember now why I stopped gambling. Well done Tim (again).

I didnt realise what Ark Fitz mentioned, that you can/could get the swept back handles to replace the ones on the 14 series. Has anyone got one for sale?

Having said that, have things come full circle, as the Bleiker and i think the new FWB have straight handles.

Jonty

Jonty when mine was fitted by the older chap that came with the Anschutz VW camper van he told me that there was then around 20 different handles to fit onto the bolts...He got mine down to two different handles one was a little tight but a better fit so he did a little work on it to make it fit spot on.

Thanks for that Ark. I wont pursue one any further in that case.

Tim, I acknowledge your greater knowledge, and accept that it swept up not back. I couldnt be sure, as I couldnt see it on the other side of the rifle when I shot it!

Jonts

Ark,

the handle could be a later replacement, but the bolt itself cannot be older than '76 or '77 (whenever the 1600 rifles were first made). It cannot be a 1400. Look at the back end; the end cap is the truncated cone introduced with 1600 rifles in '77 -ish. This end cap will not fit a 1400 bolt; the cap is threaded, but 1400 bolts have a bayonet fitting. Nor is it a 1400 action with a replacement bolt; the action is stamped S and F by the safety catch. 1400 rifles don't have this as the safety was on the bolt.

Did you get that list from the Anschutz webiste? The letter code is correct, but was not introduced until 1977 or '78. Until '77 the date was stamped as numbers not letters. The earliest letter coded barrel I've seen is '78. A 1968 barrel will be marked 68, not GI.

Again more apologies for the thead hijack.

Point taken!!! I have a 16 series barrel and action seriel no: 153287X it was made in 1978 and has the letter code stamped on it....

Not sure what club chair we are talking about, must be the one you sit on!!!

The club he is talking about has a president who has never made any remarks for or against this equipment

MLJ

I don't think that quite fair, it was only the stock that was mis-labelled. The barrel/action has been described as a Match 54 from the start, rather than as an 1813 or 1913. To be honest, other than the matter of the foresight mount, a 1613 isn't mechanically very different form a new 1913. Yes, a 1613 needs a specific firing pin and spring , but the trigger is functionally identical to later models.

Even experienced shooters can find it hard to identify the age of a rifle. See here: http://forum.stirton.com/index.php/topic/788-rifle-and-boots-foe-sale/?hl=1613&do=findComment&comment=9280

I agree with Tim, in that the OP has been pretty open, so aside from an anecdotal misquote, I do not see any deception here.

The asking price has also dropped over the course of the thread and in any case has always been subject to offer.

Perhaps there is other politics at play of which the majority are not aware.

I think clarification of the bolt type is still outstanding though?

Edited by Huey

I agree with Tim, the seller said he thought the stock was an 18 series, but after discussion it was identified as the more modern and more saleable 19 series.

As Huey says, there's something going on here we are not being told about! As they saying goes, 'Either put up or shut up'.

Jonty

Thanks Tim/Huey/Jonty... Um yes.... It was Patrick Jess.. previous... that said it was very competitive... yes I need to confirm the bolt slot but I've not tip toed into the club the past couple of weeks.....