Parts For Anschutz Match 54 Bolt

chunter177

Hi guys,

My bolt has given up the ghost. The handle won't lift to allow me to reinsert it having carried out routine cleaning. I can see a crack at the base of the black metal collar (between the bolt handle and the rear locking mechanism of the bolt) - as highlighted with the red circle in the following picture (thanks to targettalk for supplying the image):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2zb14yt1mldlug/match_54_bolt.jpg?dl=0

If anyone can help, please let me know as a matter of urgency.

Many thanks,

Chris Hunter

Chris,

any crack in the bolt handle collar is bad news. This is what stops the bolt flying backwards when you fire. DO NOT FIRE THE RIFLE IF THE HANDLE COLLAR IS CRACKED. The handle collar can be replaced, but it would need to be done profesionally to ensure the headspace is correct. You may want to check with your FEO, but as the handle is a pressure bearing part (and is proof marked), you may need specific authorisation on your FAC to buy a spare.

But if you mean the thin metal spacer, between the collar and the end cap that holds in the firing pin and spring (sorry work internet won't let me see the photo), it's not so bad. This spacer is not "load bearing"; it's just there for cosmetic purposes, and to keep out dirt, so if you can get the bolt apart you could find a replacement. Try RUAG the UK Anschutz importer.

Wanna buy a new rifle?

The handle won't lift to allow me to reinsert it having carried out routine cleaning.

Have you got everything assembled the right way round and in the correct orientation? In the picture the bolt handle looks to be 180 degrees out, unless it's left handed in which case the safety catch looks the wrong way round. (? I'm not 100% on that model of bolt)

Hi Chris

Tim is correct with the second part of his post it's just really a cover. I am struggling to think why it would stop the bolt working. I have never tried it but I don't see why the bolt wouldn't work fine with out this collar so try that first.

H

Edited by HWN1011

Make sure you have not put the safety catch (the bit furthest to the left) on incorrectly... its a fiddle to fit normally and it is possible to get it to look as its correct but its not and it will lock up....

Chris,

right am at home and can see the photo. It is the non-pressure bearing spacer that is cracked. You may want to check that it isn't binding on the bolt body; this could be what is preventing you from reassembling and cocking the bolt.

As has been noted above, the bayonet fitting of the endcap can be a pain, but it doesn't take three hands to fit. If looking from the back end, the safety should be pointing at about 5/6 o'clock (from memory) to fit onto the back. When assembled (but uncocked) it will point to about 8 o'clock.

This may also seem really obvious, but you want the handle pointing to the right of the bolt (again when views from the rear), not the left, as in your photo. Otherwise the firing pin won't engage properly.

It's not clear whether the bolt in the above photo is Chris's actual bolt or a 'stock photo' in which Chris has ringed a part in red. I suspect the latter, which may be what is causing distraction with the orientation of the bolt handle.

Personally, I was interested to observe the safety catch element as I've not encountered one before.

It's not clear whether the bolt in the above photo is Chris's actual bolt or a 'stock photo' in which Chris has ringed a part in red. I suspect the latter, which may be what is causing distraction with the orientation of the bolt handle.

/facepalm

The EXIF data on the photo says it was taken on 2011:02:20 14:06:14.

I can see a crack at the base of the black metal collar (between the bolt handle and the rear locking mechanism of the bolt) - as highlighted with the red circle in the following picture (thanks to targettalk for supplying the image):

Doh..!!

Chris, you DID put the collar back the right way round didn't you? Open end facing forward....

If not, the firing pin would probably impact it and cause the crack you describe.

My #1 rifle had a cracked cover for years and shot without problems. In fact I only got a replacement this year at Bisley.

K.

Hi guys. The picture was one I found on the net- targettalk blog. So the picture is not mine.

I have taken the bolt apart and cleaned it many times. With respect I am not a total spanner on fixing this stuff- yes I have put it together properly.

At Bisley the anschutz guys said my head space was too big so to shorten it they hammered the rear of the bolt to stretch it a few thou.

I think there is a bur somewhere in the rotational action of the handle round the stainless steel bolt body. There is a spring loaded locator pin fitted within the bolt handle piece which is catching and has put the pressure on the collar piece hence this piece is fatiguing.

Any idea of a reasonable gunsmith who might repair this in the west midlands or Gloucestershire? I work in Bromsgrove and have today (yay!) exchanged on a home in Cheltenham and will be moving this Friday.

Nibbs was very conveniently located at Quedgley, but I'm not sure now he has relocated to Kent.

Wanna buy a rifle?