Wanted - Full Bore Target Rifle

TCat001

My son has just made selection for the GB U19 Full Bore Target Rifle Team. He has been using a rifle owned by the Air Cadets. I think his efforts and dedication deserve reward and I am therefore looking for a decent rifle for him to own in order for him to take his sport to the next level.

Does anyone have, or know of anyone who might be looking to part with a rifle to suit this purpose?

R,

Tony

What caliber and type are you looking for,

There is a guy at our small bore club, who last year bought a new 'carbine type' smallbore and a fullbore rifle and then packed it all in!

Would that be too new for you. I will contact him to find out its make and caliber.

Regards

Jonty

Jonty,

for GBU19, that would be an NRA TR so a Quadlock, Barnard action (or similar) with a 30in barrel in .308Win/7.62MM.

Absolute bargain if the barrel is good - Paramount modified bolt retaining mech is a plus. Fit a Fultons ladder foresight & you have a class rifle. Bed into a wooden super match stock with a HPS FB butt plate like mine & you have a world class / superb rifle for well under a grand.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Swing_Rifle_Target_For-Sale_140621144103309

next best some might say a tad expensive for a swing but it is the last version before the Paramount.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Swing-Mk5_Rifle_For-Sale_140422125932737

Dont write off Musgrave & Quadlite are also exceptional.

You wont go wrong with Quadlock, Barnard, Paramount or these.

Go for a Barnard

Why so (a precis will do!)?

QL owner, just sayin' ;)

One reason - The bolt retaining mech on a Barnard is sweet - just turn to 12 o'clock & withdraw single handed. Easy on the range simple no moving parts.

But beware of older bolt arms on Barnards they are a thin stainless tube & the later an alloy arm - both bend & fail when a stuck case is 'encouraged' out with a FP number peg! by comparison I have seen a large wooden mallet used on a swing bolt arm with no detriment to the action or score :-)

Thanks for the advice guys - I don't know much about the full bore scene so I will try to find out from him what he prefers. Would appreciate it if you can keep 'your ears to the ground' and let me know if anything pops up.

R,

To y

Thanks for the advice guys - I don't know much about the full bore scene so I will try to find out from him what he prefers. Would appreciate it if you can keep 'your ears to the ground' and let me know if anything pops up.

R,

To y

Then this thread might be informative: http://forum.stirton.com/index.php/topic/4721-how-to-judge-a-sh-fullbore-rifle/?hl=musgrave&do=findComment&comment=41692

Phil, I'll grant the bolt retaining claw does snarl on the breach cleaning rod, but I have complete faith in the bolt handle - and no need to use a mallet ;)

Go for a Barnard

Why so (a precis will do!)?

QL owner, just sayin' ;)

For full bore target rifle (up to 1000yrds) I'd choose a barnard, because of the ease of operation. Three lug bolts are easier to open. If the tolerances on any four lug action, swing, churwick, paramount, RPA, aren't great they get can stiffen up over the course of a shoot.

Beyond 1000 yards, a more robust action such as the Quadlock Octagonal is beneficial.

As Hitchphil says, Quadlite is perfectly good (although for Match Rifle and F-Open I would still go for a Quadlock instead). The lite is purely a name, its not a girls action. It is in fact 90% or so a copy of the Rem700 but with a four lug bolt.

BAT is a lovely action, all stainless steel, polished, imagine a Rem700 bolt in a quad lock body. Integral picatinny rail.

I'd avoid swing, paramount and musgrave actions as the spares are dwindling.

(These my unbiased opinions, based on things I learnt working for System Gemini and RPA )

I'd avoid swing, paramount and musgrave actions as the spares are dwindling.

Very True - however Fulton's will do firing pins, bolt retaining mechs & HPS will repair sights & that will cover most spare event needs. Triggers can be replaced too, but bolt arms / bodies are in deed rare now. Much more than that fails = get another rifle! & if you did have to flog it because of a major failure then you will get a good return on the bits via ebay (less the action & barrel of course ;-))

Its down to starting out price: Swing, Paramount, Musgrave rifles, good = about a grand to 1500 quite capable of getting the prodigy to a Queens final.

Barnards / Grunigs, RPA's etc probably 1500 poor, 2 to 2.5 k good often fair bit more.

New ? 4.5-5k? EEEEK! ...... but then that is probably a rifle for life isn't it..............

BSA Majestic spares now those are wooden horse poo............but one made it to Queens III last year ;-)