True Left Handed Lightweight Rifle Wanted

mrbenhunt

For my girlfriend who struggles with the club's heavy left hander. She's still awaiting her FAC so no real hurry but we can temporarily add it to to club's licence if the right thing comes up. Would ideally like an Anschutz Match 64 with left hand bolt and stock. We don't have a huge budget, £300 would perfect for a first rifle but would push the boat out if something nice comes up, say a newish 1903. Could you all please keep a look out and let me know if anything becomes available.

Not to dampen your spirit, but the older (and therefore cheaper) Match 64 rifles, were not made in LH form, only with LH stocks and the standard RH bolt. Anschutz didn't start until 1980-odd, which limits you to the 1803 and 1903. You may want to consider a Martini action; BSA made their International series in true LH form throughout production, and with lightweight barrels. The Martini action is nice and short for easy loading. A BSA Mk IV ISU, or Mk II lightweight, would do well, although be prepared to shorten the butt, these are too long for many men.

Sorry it took a while for thanking you for taking the time to reply, been away for a few days. We were at the NSRA shop at Bisley and my partner got to hold a 1903 only to be told that it was no longer being made in a left handed version. Anschutz will make a left handed 1907 still, but this pretty much double the price. I do feel sorry for the left-handers, Amy had to wait 3 months for a jacket to be custom made because there wasn't a single one available in the UK. We were told that even if we were to stump up the £1650 for a 1907, it would probably be 3 months before we could expect to receive it. Not great news for a keen newcomer to the sport who just wants to get kitted up! We will follow your advice and look for some of the other makes you have made us aware of. Regards, Ben

If your girlfriend can tolerate the extra pound or so that a 1907 weighs over a 1903, your search will be easier. The 1907 is an adult rifle, and is more common second hand that the 1903, which is seen as a junior rifle. The 1907 is built on the superior Match 54 action, and has a much better trigger than the 1903, 1803, or 1403. It can also be upgraded very easily if required in the future. As well as the 1907, look for its 1980s predecessor the 1807. As with BSA rifles, a 1907 or 1807 rifle may be a little too long in the butt for shorter girls.

Thanks again Tim. We also got to handle the 1907 which she felt would be good weight-wise, it's only a couple of pounds less than our club rifle but makes all the difference to her. Amy says it's more about getting into the prone position with a heavy rifle that she struggles with, once in position she's ok.

As for the length, I assume that there's plenty of adjustment in the stock or that it could be shortened if necessary?

She now has her sights set on the 1907 so if you hear of a left hander available, I'd be grateful if you would let me know.

Thankyou again for your help, very much appreciated

Ben,has she considered a FWB 2700? The 22mm barrel version is not too heavy,I got a L/H version from Bedford Target Supplies within 3 weeks of ordering,they are a bit more expensive than the 1907,but come with sights,which you would need to buy for the Anschutz.

Neale