Wanted - Junior Target Rifle For Club...

SandyGBR

HI All,

Our younger smallbore members struggle with our full size target rifles.

We don't want our smaller statured D of E shooters to throw the towel in before they've started,

We would be interested in buying something suitable for smaller shooters, if anyone knew of anything available.

I see Anschutz made a junior target rifle but don't anymore, but something like that would be perfect...

I look forward to a deluge of replies, or hopefully one or two.

Cheers

Sandy.

Hi Sandy, I understand that Anschutz stopped making a junior rifle in the 1970s. I think the model was a 1402 with a Match 64 action. You occasionally see them advertised on gunstar or guntrader. Alternatively, HPS now make a junior target rifle http://www.hps-tr.com/rimfire.htm. As you will see it is an expensive bit of kit for a club to purchase. Good luck with your search.

That was the 1403, production carried on until the mid-80s with a UIT stock. The 1402 (1960s) and 1403 up to the late 70's had a prone style stock.

Hi Sandy

my wife is short and has always had the same problems of juniors, she uses a light barreled Walther KK300 in a shortened Alutec stock, still probably too heavy for your needs and expensive, and I'm also involved with coaching juniors in air rifle where I build a junior rifle from a senior.

The cheap answer is revert to the saw! There are masses of cheap Annies out there, 54's etc, shortening the stocks is simple, and you can also remove weight from stocks, but if you also wish to remove muzzle weight which is preferable, then shorten the barrel, any good gunsmith can do it. I can assure you the amount that you can take off a barrel and they still shoot well (some times better!) is scary. If you really want the sight base an alloy tube will take them back longer.

I'd be wary of shortening an Anschutz barrel. Reputedly the muzzle end is choked, and lopping off a few inches to save weight can have a disastrous effect on accuracy (not always, but enough that you are taking a gamble). Shortening from the breech-end is a much safer way, but it means rechambering and reproofing. This is likely to be much more expensive than a simple shorten and recrown, I paid a shade over £200 last year to have my 1613 rechambered.

• 3 months later...

Thanks all for the replies. We're still looking, should something suitable turn up. I've seen the HPS stuff but £ouch£. We've got plenty of Martini's at the club but they are still on the large size. A 30/40 year old Anschutz would be perfect, just starting to wear in!