Lots Of Club Rifles!

Jamiehodgson

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ilovemybed

Sadly the Sports Union are pretty ruthless...Any money taken from selling of kit gets sucked up and put into other sports. I would have happily donated or loaned out rifles to other clubs and unis as it would make no difference to me ;) One good thing is that we sell at our discretion, meaning that we can sell them cheap and give the buyers great deals.

Yes, that's what I thought - the SU has no idea of resale value so perhaps it would be nice to pass them on to other struggling uni clubs for a token fee ;)

Sadly the Sports Union are pretty ruthless...Any money taken from selling of kit gets sucked up and put into other sports. I would have happily donated or loaned out rifles to other clubs and unis as it would make no difference to me ;) One good thing is that we sell at our discretion, meaning that we can sell them cheap and give the buyers great deals.

Yes, that's what I thought - the SU has no idea of resale value so perhaps it would be nice to pass them on to other struggling uni clubs for a token fee ;)

Thats just the kind of thinking Iv been employing ;)

As my daughter (13) is now looking to start prone/positional shooting, as well as Smallbore Benchrest which she has been shooting for the last couple of years. She will be needing something a bit smaller and lighter than any of the rifles I currantly have.

Alan

Jamie, As the club is dissolving you may want to look at your constitution.

You could find that you have one or more clauses instructing the club officers what they have to do in such an instance. Many of the wee groups I am involved with say something like (I paraphrase): ".. sell assets to clear debt then donate/transfer remaining ones to institution/institutions with the same objectives".

The NSRA sample constitution certainly has a "boiler plate" like that. It would be better not to go ultra vires.

• 2 weeks later...

Really sad to hear about HW demise. Many fond memories of competing against you guys over the years. St Andrews Uni definately interested in some kit. In my experience, Uni Club Constitutions are all based on a template which gives ultimate financial control to the Sports Union. Its quid pro quo because the Uni SU's generally provide the majority of funds to purchase equipment in the first place. If you were able to provide evidence that specific equipment was donated to the Club by others, there might be a case for doing something different.

Now that I think about it, Robert Gordon's has been talking about trying to get itself some rifles and kit for a few years now. Personally I'd love to see the HW stuff at least stay within SUS (in the hope that you could get it back at a later date)...but it's not really my place to say.

I'll give the new captain a heads-up about this thread, though.

We have around 25ish rifles for sale as our club is no longer able to run.

I will update this post with exact numbers and models etc, but just wanted to see the interest.

If there is any interest please leave a wee message or something

Cheers

l

Can you please drop me an email or PM once you have a list of the rifles you will have available.

Regards NEC

Sorry to hear about this - I was in the club a couple of years ago and I'm still in a SUS uni; down to five competing universities now I think so you'll be sadly missed. Will you be putting up the kit list or sending it out? I assume the coo-ee isn't on it ;) (if it still exists)

A list of items with prices would be useful now. I think a similar thing happened to my old club (Shefffield Uni) where the union was very anti-shooting.

I'm after a single point sling, preferably an old one for post-classic .22 target rifle. Have you got a Mexico sling?

Sad indeed. I was SUSF organiser in 1990 (ish), we had 8 universities competing in the shoulder to shoulder league and a very active social scene. Trips to BUSF were usually attended by most universities (bar Stirling as they had odd term times).

I shot at school, but many shooters started shooting at university. Pleny of past & current Scotland shooters came through this system. Some clubs fell to the PC brigade (Stirling), some through lack of members/range (Dundee) and some through apathy (Strathclyde).

See you at Denwood on Sunday Jamie?

• 3 weeks later...

This being Freshers week I thought I'd have a look at how Glasgow University Rifle Club, one of our tenant clubs, were getting on. On a dreich Sunday afternoon I went down to the Range and found I could hardly get in the door. There must have been about 60 students crowded into the Club and the existing GU members were manfully struggling to give them each a taste of the sport. I fully realise that this will not convert into complete commitment but the interest was there and it was heartening.

Regards,

Niall

We have around 25ish rifles for sale as our club is no longer able to run.

I will update this post with exact numbers and models etc, but just wanted to see the interest.

If there is any interest please leave a wee message or something

Cheers

What's up? Have you lost your range?

Try contacting the NRA or NSRA for alternatives.

Hi Do you have any sights for a Anschutz for sale? Thanks

Jac

Edited by Jac