Cheekpiece Ratchet

Rossi

Hi to all you engineers out there,

I'm needing a way of increasing the height of my cheekpiece when shooting 3P (standing and kneeling) on my Grunig and Elmiger RS III stock.

The way the cheekpiece mechanism works on this stock is via a ratchet. It has a fairly limit range of vertical movement (30mm) which is not enough to cater for all 3 positions - sight raisers being the cause.

Making a deeper cheekpiece (the wood itself or adding spacers) isn't really ideal - it would need to be changed over from prone to standing etc as i couldn't then get the deeper one low enough for prone and vice versa. And its quite fiddly.

The solution i have come up with is a longer ratchet. The original could then quickly be unscrewed and the longer one added.

Only probelm is, Grunig don't do a longer cheekpiece ratchet.

Is there anyone out there who would be able to machine a one for me? Or at least know of anyone i should contact?

I have attached pictures of both the original and a mock up longer piece.

Dimensions of the original are 3.75-4mm thick, 62.5mm height, 55.5mm width at top, 32mm width at bottom. Only change for the longer piece would be the height increased to about 100mm in height or so.

Cheers

Andrew

post-1237-126461681975_thumb.jpg

post-1237-126461684032_thumb.jpg

Hey,

Not sure if it would be possible but on my GE600 I had a similar problem but managed to create a spacer for the top of the prongs, between them and the bottom of the cheek piece (needed longer bolts to attach the two.

Any scope for doing something like that?

Yeah i thought about doing that, but i would need to take the spacers in and out when going from prone to kneeling/standing and back again etc. And make sure the cheekpiece goes back in the same place again on the base... Its do-able, just fidly and time consuming.

If i had 2 cheekpieces (like you ;) )it'd be fine, i'd just leave the spacers in. Although i reckon a 2nd Grunig cheekpiece will be quite pricey....

If I've read your post right, you want to have two ratchet pieces. One the standard length and an additional piece which is longer, as per your image.

If it was me I would buy an additional ratchet piece from G&E (if available? not listed on Edinkillie...). I would then take it to a competent local metal fabricator and ask them to extend it by cutting off the top slotted section and (TIG) butt-welding in a fresh section of aluminium alloy of the correct dimensions to extend the length by the amount desired.

The Grunig piece might not be cheap but nor would asking a machine shop to recreate one from scratch. And at least you know it'll fit. The work as described above might sound a bit drastic but would be a piece of cake for any suitably skilled person.

Will ask around for recommendations for you. (I'm near Embra and know people who will know where to go)

If I've read your post right, you want to have two ratchet pieces. One the standard length and an additional piece which is longer, as per your image.

If it was me I would buy an additional ratchet piece from G&E (if available? not listed on Edinkillie...). I would then take it to a competent local metal fabricator and ask them to extend it by cutting off the top slotted section and (TIG) butt-welding in a fresh section of aluminium alloy of the correct dimensions to extend the length by the amount desired.

The Grunig piece might not be cheap but nor would asking a machine shop to recreate one from scratch. And at least you know it'll fit. The work as described above might sound a bit drastic but would be a piece of cake for any suitably skilled person.

Will ask around for recommendations for you. (I'm near Embra and know people who will know where to go)

Yep thats right, two ratchet pieces needed. One standard and one long.

I sent emails off to G&E yesterday so should hopefully get a reply soon. That method would work though, probably not quite as pretty as a new piece but it'd do the job :lol:

And recomendatons would be good, cheers!

I did the 'spacer' for when I was using one cheek piece for all disciplines :-p

It simply meant that I put the prongs lower down for prone e.g. they were set to 3.5 for prone and became 1.5 once the spacer was in

All depends on your head position in the various disciplines

I did the 'spacer' for when I was using one cheek piece for all disciplines :-p

It simply meant that I put the prongs lower down for prone e.g. they were set to 3.5 for prone and became 1.5 once the spacer was in

All depends on your head position in the various disciplines

Yeah, i did try that. With enough spacers in to get me high enough for standing/ kneeling, i then couldn't get it low enough for prone...

Although, that may be because i've got the ratchet flipped around so i can get the cheekpiece further forward. Which means it can't go down as far because it fouls on the stock. Flipped back the normal way it might give me enough adjustment, it'll just mean making another cheekpiece - this one being a bit longer this time(i'm not using the off the shelf bit of plastic at the moment anyway - prefer a straight edge so made a new one a while ago)

I'll maybe give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

Cheers

have you thought of trying some sight raiser prone.. i understand you are not looking to mess about too much but it might be worth a try to see if it give any benefit and compromise for the S&K until you can get another cheek piece ;)

oh and Jen Snores!

have you thought of trying some sight raiser prone.. i understand you are not looking to mess about too much but it might be worth a try to see if it give any benefit and compromise for the S&K until you can get another cheek piece ;)

oh and Jen Snores!

I've already got an 8mm block on for prone. Using 27mm for kneeling and 35mm for standing (using a palm grip as opposed to a fist so rifle sits pretty low).

With the cheekpiece back the right way i've stil not got enough adjustment, could do with about another 10mm and it'd work. Annoying...

Ps. I know..... :P