L/handed Anschutz 1600 Series ***sold***

Guest sparky

Guest sparky

For sale anschutz 1600 series . anschutz rear sights +2 fore sights also jacket .sling.+glove 300 pounds .sorry no pics but please pm me for more details

Edited by sparky

Hi

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the 1600 model from Anschutz. Can you give something by way of a description or point me to somewhere I can get a description. Thanks.

Sink

Hi Sink

The 16 series ran from serial numbers 143655X to 182155X and from 1974 to 1979 (although the date letters on mine correspond to 1980), and is signified by the letter X at the end of the serial number. As the name suggests, it came between the 14 and 18 series, with a new trigger allegedly better than the 14.

You will note that the bolt has a slot underneath, exposing the firing pin, another feature of the 16 series.

As noted in 'Ways of The Rifle' these rifles are still sought after and many are still in use today (for those of us who can't afford Bleikers). I won the British Short Range with my 1607 in 2006, and it is still going strong, I just wish I was.

Just a couple of years ago, Dave Phelps won the Roberts (more than once) with his 1613, although I believe he now uses a 1913.

Hope this helps

Regards

Walter

Edited by tenpointnine

Hi Sink

The 16 series ran from serial numbers 143655X to 182155X and from 1974 to 1979 (although the date letters on mine correspond to 1980), and is signified by the letter X at the end of the serial number. As the name suggests, it came between the 14 and 18 series, with a new trigger allegedly better than the 14.

You will note that the bolt has a slot underneath, exposing the firing pin, another feature of the 16 series.

As noted in 'Ways of The Rifle' these rifles are still sought after and many are still in use today (for those of us who can't afford Bleikers). I won the British Short Range with my 1607 in 2006, and it is still going strong, I just wish I was.

Just a couple of years ago, Dave Phelps won the Roberts (more than once) with his 1613, although I believe he now uses a 1913.

Hope this helps

Regards

Walter

Now interestingly, my serial number 181447X had the groove, but not the exposed firing pin. Being a left-handed 1810L may have something to do with it. Maybe the serial number sequence was not contiguous.

Regards

Bob M

Bob,

I think this came up a year or two ago on another thread. Exeter Uni also has a 16xx left hander; the barrel is marked "Match 54", the serial number has an X at the end, but the barrel is proofed 1980, and the bolt is an 18xx without the slot (the firing pin has a notched sear for the 5018 trigger not a square sear for the 5071).

I think that these came about because Anschutz fit the barrel to the receiver before the bolt is fitted (or so I'm led to believe). Hence 16xx action and barrel. However because fewer left-handed rifles are needed, these waited a while to be fully assembled with the bolt and trigger, so by then Anschutz had used up their 16xx bolts.

All Anschutz bolts made before about 1986 had the groove. This is to fit around the cartridge kicker, but only the 16xx had the firing pin exposed (I'm told to reduce pressure in the bolt, to speed up the firing pin). Late in the 18xx this was changed to a flat section, that was presumably easier to machine.

This is just a theory mind. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I agree. Where I have said 74-79, this was taken from the Anschutz website, but as I stated, the date code letters on mine (1799**X) relate to 1980.

I couldn't get it to link to the actual page, so take this link to the catalogue then go to page 62.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/downloads/K...7.pdf?downloads

Also from the Anschutz site : Since 1968 the year of manufacture is coded. The code for determining the age is as follows:

0=A; 1=B; 2=C; 3=D, 4=E; 5=F; 6=G; 7=H; 8=I/J; 9=K

The year of proof testing is described by the last two digits of a year, i. e. that a firearm with the letters AF was officially proof tested in the year 2005 (05).

Walter

Edited by tenpointnine

Anschutz have stamped the year of proof on the barrel since before 1968. A colleague has one marked for 1961.