Strange Logon Problem

thesquiff

This is probably just a problem with my machine, but has anyone experienced a similar problem and how was it solved?

When I logon to the forum, it changes to the screen 'thesquiff is logged on: now transfering..." etc. Then sometimes it will revert to the logon page. Sometimes I can browse a few pages before returning to the logon screen again. Sometimes I can even browse as far as writing a post, but then when I press submit it returns to the logon screen.

Now this is happening on both Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 7 on my work PC. It sounds like a cookie or session problem, but I've been through all the settings on both browsers and everything is setup to allow them.

Anyone any idea whats going on here? Or am I going to just accept that I should be doing work when sitting at my desk?

What type of connection have you got to the 'net?

I've seen this when using my mobile as a modem with the laptop due to the way the traffic is going through Orange.

You are probably behind a proxy server which can cause problems due to header striping ...

If you can get the same machine connected to the Internet directly then I would hazard a guess that it would work.

You haven't installed Zonealarm or other any other software firewall/malware products have you?

No, nothing fancy installed. Just the basic windows firewall and whatever hardware firewall the company has. I have little control over the connection unfortunately. Could well be a proxy problem.

Will try a different machine on the same network on Monday and see if the same thing occurs...

Thanks

What type of connection have you got to the 'net?

I've seen this when using my mobile as a modem with the laptop due to the way the traffic is going through Orange.

You are probably behind a proxy server which can cause problems due to header striping ...

If you can get the same machine connected to the Internet directly then I would hazard a guess that it would work.

You haven't installed Zonealarm or other any other software firewall/malware products have you?

Hi Neil, on a client site at moment, had to attempt logon several times before success, very intermittent. On a 100MB uncontended to backbone (yes it costs them a packet!) and on Windows 2003 R2 server with IE7. No firewall on server and no proxy straight out on port 80 through Cisco routers and combination of CheckPoint and Juniper firewall clusters.

Will catch-up on all my emails later. I know you sent me a few.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Strange ... not sure what's going on there - being the techie, you could check on HTTPWatch and sent me the output requests to see whether the problem is.

Or even run Wireshark and grab the net traffic.

For most, the above will be gobldy gook mind ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Rob,

No one else has reported anything ...I'm just back from trg in Hannover, so sorry for the delayed reply.

Still having trouble?

Neil,

Nope all fine now - it was just 'dead' for about half the day.

Rob.

Couldn't possibly be a change in web content filtering etc at your work? ;)

You never know what these IT folk could be doing in the background ;)

I did wonder that but everything else seemed fine, including more obviously shooting related websites. Anyway all works now :)

Rob.

• 7 months later...