Bsa British Rifles

RobertBeard

I was sent this email by a shooter and put it here in case it might be of interest to anyone. I don't know any more so you would need to contact the shop direct.

"During a pleasant afternoon walk around Tavistock I happened upon the following golden oldies for sale. Two R/Hand, BSA Valmet bolt action .22 target rifles £200.00. Also a corking little ladies BSA Martini action, a true left handed version, and with an accessory rail instead of those annoying little holes on the underside of the stock. Also £200.00.The rifles are sadly the former property of a couple where the husband died, and his widow no longer wished to pursue the sport alone

If anyone is in the market for a bit of true British shooting iron these might fit the bill. The vendor is Tavistock Country Pursuits, Proprietor is Paul Bevan. The shop is mainly fur and feather and took the rifles as a favour."

Robert,

A BSA Valmet bolt action? Almost all BSA smallbore target rifles were martini-actions, i.e the 12-15 and later International series. I think the BSA Century was a bolt action, but I don't think Valmet was a name/model used by BSA.

Valmet was the company that produced the formerly well-known "Finnish Lion" target rifles. I think they were subsumed by another Finnish firm Sako over twenty years ago.

Tim

Unfortunately I am not into the history of target rifles and wouldn't have known if this was correct or incorrect. I was merely quoting the wording of the email I received verbatim, or warts and all, if there are any.

Perhaps this might give you an interesting trip to Tavistock to check them out and then you can let us know what they are? Perhaps the vendor has them mis-described - the note did say that the shop was "fur and feather" and so the target rifle knowledge may be limited.

It was Kevin Adamson who emailed me about them.

Robert