Offset Sights

our club has a probationary member who needs to try a set of offset sights before deciding whether to spend his pennies or shoot left handed.

i realise this is a difficult ask but is anyone in a position to help, in anyway at all? all we need is some way for this person to try a set out.

thank you in anticipation.

richard

essentially he's right handed with a very dodgy right eye. he's been with us for a couple of months now and has adapted to shooting left handed to use his good eye. he's grouping very well considering but he has a niggle that he can do better shooting right handed as it will come more naturally. like all good shooters should he wants to explore that niggle but we want to enable him to explore it without being out of pocket (possibly£200 or so) before finally deciding what's best for him.

richard

Here's the advice of a right handed shooter that went left handed after an eye injury:

It takes about 4 weeks to convert, depending on your skill level and amount of practice!

Offset sights introduce too many variables, as do periscopes.

Best regards

Bob M

I would echo the fact that I used to shoot right handed but due to an eye problem had to change and shoot off the left shoulder. To start of with I was using a right handed rifle and this was a shambles, then I got a left handed rifle and that felt wrong because I was still in the main right handed but I managed to change over and now I automatically shoulder any rifle I use on the left and don't think twice about it, its worth the effort to change to the left rather than try and compromise with adaptors of any sort

Iain D

To balance this a bit,

I know a right handed shooter who's right eye vision was seriously impaired following an accident. I know another who is still shooting at 80+ but again has weak right eye vision. Both are shooting offset sights with considerable success. Unfortunately neither has a 'spare' set.

Dom.

I know someone who had problems with their right eye and used a periscope for some years before a cataract operation sorted it out. She used one of John Kelly's (RIP) periscopes. This uses two mirrors for the periscope function, and she was always complaining about lack of light, as the mirrors did absorb a lot. They also have to be kept meticulously clean, and you really really have to watch your cant angle. The eyepiece has to be very close to eye in order to get a proper field of view too.

She had two of these, both now passed on to others I'm afraid Richard.