Anschutz Model 54

Bill

The club has for sale an Anschutz Model 54 from 1963 (stamped on the barrel). Original prone stock. Single-stage trigger - not the contemporary 3lbs but slightly heavier than a modern one, so it must have had a different spring fitted sometime. Single-extractor bolt as per 14xx series, but this pre-dates that nomenclature. Includes sights.

As a complete rifle it might not be up to much by modern standards, but I'm betting the barrel is still pretty good as it comes from the era when Anschutz really knew how to make barrels. It probably hasn't been used for over 30 years, and before that it was only used by a school CCF shooting team up to its disbandment in 1971 so it hasn't taken a beating.

If anyone wants it to attach a modern action to it or even just a trigger and put it into a newer stock, it's probably a pretty good-value buy to make the custom rifle of their dreams. Go for it!!!!!!!!.

Make me an offer!

And a close-up

Edited by Bill
Picture removed to save space.

What makes you think that?

As far as I know (and it's never been out of the club) it's the original, with the conversion to reduce the pull from 3lbs.

What makes you think that?

As far as I know (and it's never been out of the club) it's the original, with the conversion to reduce the pull from 3lbs.

I look after 2 Anschutz's of a similar age (single extractor)- their triggers are cylindrical and dark coloured. All the later Anschutz 54s I look after (twin extractor) have the silver trigger in your picture, with a different mechanism.

It might be that only the trigger itself, and not the mechanism, has been changed.

It might be that only the trigger itself, and not the mechanism, has been changed.

It is identical to the first Anschutz I owned, made in 1963 and bought by me in 1964. For those (anyone?) that remember him, Dougie Macgilvray acquired it for me.

Rutty

Guest Dave_C

just as a matter of interest: what's the serial number.

One of my rifles is of a very similar age and still groups very reasonably.

Been told they are very good barrels, but it's probably an old wive's tale.

I shot 595 and 594 with it (Denwood and Alloa) in the 3 months before I stopped using it.

Bill,

The rifle I have has the serial number 40861.

The member on the forum "tim s" was interested in buying my rifle a while back because of the vintage.

You could see if he's still interested.

Just out of interest: did you get an official conversion to lighten the trigger and does your ejector still work 100%?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

I wasn't that interested in the vintage, but more because it shot well and the price was good.

I found a 1979 vintage 1613 a few months later, whipped off the safety catch and it's sitting nicely in the Gemini.

Are you still looking to sell it?

Might know an interested party. Does it have a stock? I can't remember but was the barrel parallel with a screw-on foresight block, or slightly tapered with a grooved collar at the muzzle?

The year of proof should be stamped on the LHS of the barrel, think it was (19)64.

Regards

Tim

Dave,

The details of the conversion are lost in the mists of time. All I know is that I unearthed the rifle from the depths of the armoury where it had been lurking for goodness-knows how long and took some pics and tried the trigger. It's definitely lighter than the original 3lbs and seems (from my recollection of those times) about what it should have been at the time when the regulations were changed (500gm/1.1lbs). I can't comment too much on the ejection, except to say it worked 100% for the one round I tried in it. I guess I could try two rounds and see how those go.

Tim,

Not sure if you're talking to me or Dave.

Bill,

Sorry to hijack your thread but I had meant Dave.

A friend is looking for a Supermatch, rather than a prone.