Wanted Jacket

I am trying to find a prone jacket one of the old style made by buttstop, tucker or 10X as i wish to try prone shooting but cant stand the rock hard modern double canvas jackets as they are so uncomfortable. I require a 42

or 44 inch chest.

Thanks Steve

I am trying to find a prone jacket one of the old style made by buttstop, tucker or 10X as i wish to try prone shooting but cant stand the rock hard modern double canvas jackets as they are so uncomfortable.

That sounds suspiciously like you've never tried a properly fitting jacket. If it fits, it's comfortable; I can spend all day in mine (and frequently have). If it's uncomfortable, it doesn't fit.

A bespoke jacket can be had for quite reasonable prices these days; and will be of far higher quality (grip/padding on elbows, ability to adjust the shoulder fit, ability to adjust button placement, thin material on the inside of joints) than the old Buttstop or Tucker jackets - material design has come a long way. You might shoot just as well in a tailored Buttstop, but the additional support from a "modern" jacket means that it takes a lot less effort to stay in position; it "decays" far slower. Important for those times when you're waiting on the wind, and want to be able to put a shot downrange every twelve to fifteen seconds, and still be hitting the bull.

That sounds suspiciously like you've never tried a properly fitting jacket.

That was my initial thoughts too. The old stylee jackets don't really offer any support, they are just a sort of loose fitting bag with elbow padding attached at strategic points. Apart from chest size, it would be difficult to get one not to fit.

Modern jackets do provide support, and are quite a tightly engineered product, if it doesn;t fit, then it would be very obvious and very uncomforatble. Getting one that fits will ultimately give better performance, be as (if not more!) comfortable than an old stylee jacket. Certainly they are not comfortable for sitting around or even walking about if done up, but when prone, they should be as comfortable, and supportive. That is after all their purppose. The way a modern jacket takes the load across the shoulders, supports the sling etc, well, its a marvel really. It does however take a little getting used to, it can feel decidedly odd at first.

I guess it all depends on how far you want to go .. if you are going to be quite happy plinking away down in the lower classes, or just want to ry prone shooting to see how you find it, an old style jacket is not such a bad idea, but if you want to have every assistance in your efforts to the top (or at least the middle :) then the time and effort to select a well fitting modern jacket pays off.

Edited by rszemeti

Thanks for your comments i fully agree with all you have to say.

I require an old jacket to shoot occasional prone black powder rifle

My main reasons are elbow pads and an anchor point for sling and also so i dont ruin

every item of clothing i own with black powder associated gunk.

And i forgot to say i am a right handed shooter.

Thanks Steve

I require an old jacket to shoot occasional prone black powder rifle

That makes sense .... trying to stoke up a muzzleloader in a modern jacket would be difficult at best.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Tucker are making jackets again and you can choose the option of either the new stiff canvas or the old style single softer canvas.

The website is http://www.andrewtuckertargetsports.co.uk

They are reasonably well priced too

I'd check whether they're ISSF-legal; that may not matter if you're shooting full-bore or black powder, but it's certainly important if you're shooting smallbore. The zip fastening also isn't as adjustable as a button fastening - important if you're considering gaining or losing weight (or if your jacket seems to shrink in the wash B) ).

There are similarly priced jackets on the market, which are ISSF-legal, and have all of the features identified by Tucker. Personally, I'd go for something with a rubberised shoulder pad rather than the Tucker's suede, but that's a personal preference.

I'd check whether they're ISSF-legal; that may not matter if you're shooting full-bore or black powder, but it's certainly important if you're shooting smallbore.

Umm, no, it would only be of any concern if you intended to shoot ISSF competitions, there are lpenty of NSRA legal jackets around that don't meet ISSF spec, and if you read the chaps earlier postings, he's just wanting to try a bit of prone with a muzzle loader, so ISSF legality is not going to be any concern I suspect !

Apart from that, good point ;)

Actually I'm still quietly chortling away at the thought of someone doing a bit of muzzle loading on an ISSF match ... plink, plink, plink, plink, KERWAABOOOM <smoke drifts down the range obscuring the view> etc etc

well it made me laugh anyway

Edited by rszemeti

Actually I'm still quietly chortling away at the thought of someone doing a bit of muzzle loading on an ISSF match ... plink, plink, plink, plink, KERWAABOOOM <smoke drifts down the range obscuring the view> etc etc

Well, someone (Britarms?) built a five-shot muzzle-loading black powder pistol that was intended for ISSF centrefire. Mind you, it was a bit boring, it used percussion caps rather than being a flintlock (in other words, it was closer to a Colt six-shooter than a Brown Bess). I'm with you in imagining trying to make a "no more than 5.6mm" muzzle-loading rifle that was ISSF compliant.

Now that we're going all vintage firearm, does anyone know the last time a GB team member took a Martini-Henry action to an ISSF World Cup?

The Britarms psitol used modern nitro powder I believe. I don't think that the exemption for muzzleloading pistols requires them to use blackpowder.

On a geeky note I suspect the last Martini-Henry at an ISU/ISSF event was a long time ago. All the BSA Internationals and earlier small-frame Martinis are Francotte-style. Greener converted 450-577 Boxer M-Hs to .22", but the BSA target rifles all used the take-down small-frame Francotte-type action.

Isn't the pistol you refer to called "The Patriot"? I'm not sure it was made by Britarms though - I thought it was a new set-up that designed it and it is made abroad - perhaps somebody formerly with britarms was involved. Anyway it was reviewed in Target Sports a couple of years ago from memory and yes it used nitro powders.