Advice On Elbow Pads Wanted

Vic Thompson

I'm having probs at the moment as my ancient shooting jacket doesn't offer much in the way of cushioning to my left elbow. What I'd really like is a shooting pullover with an efficient built in elbow pad, or a slip on Gel Pad or similar which would fit under my shooting jacket without making it diffiult to get on because my left arm (elbow) catches in it because of the "attachment". All offers of advice appreciated.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

Edited by Vic Thompson

Vic,

There are many different tops out there ..

The older style Mouche tops tend to stretch and lose their shape very easily. The newer ones however

tend to be made from neoprene and I have a couple of Mouche and Kurt Thune one, all of which I would

recommend - they keep you cool when warm, warm when cool ;)

I have to say though that the elbow pads are not hugely padded on any of the tops (in my experience

anyway)

Under my shooting jacket I wear a sweatshirt with padded elbows only, which I purchased last year for £18.20 (inc. carriage) from:-

Eskdale Designs, 2 Lumb Lane, Roberttown, Liversedge, West Yorkshire, WF15 7QH.

E-Mail: arlene.watson@ntlworld.com

They are a small family run business catering for small groups and clubs. All the sweatshirts are made up on the premises to individual measurements to ensure a good fit. The standard shooting sweatshirt includes a padded shoulder (left or right) and was £19.20.

If you contact them they will send you a colour swatch.

I have been prone shooting in their sweatshirts for a year now and have had no problems with them.

P.S. I am not connected to this business in any way.

As Neil said the early Mouche shooting tops ( full zip cardigan style) did stretch quite a lot & consequently lost their shape. This was mainly die to the fact that they had a lot of natural fibre in them & when washed they held a lot of water in the material. When any piece of clothing, particularly a heavy material, ALWAYS dry it lying down flat. That way it is much more likely to keep it's shape.

Anshcutz have produced a full zip shooting top in " Cold Winner" material which has padded elbows & is comfortable to wear in all conditions. Reasonably priced against some other makes available.

Hi Vic

If you want a cheaper option, go to your friendly local pharmacy and get a neoprene elbow support - they come in a range of sizes. You can wear this under the rest of your kit. Not sure about ISSF compliance, but if you do not need to go through equipment control it wouldn't matter anyway ....

Although a neoprene support is more expensive that an old-style elasticated bandage (tubigrip etc) it's a LOT cheaper than a proper shooting jumper.

Mary

Hi Vic.

If you try your nearest Decathlon Sports store, they stock 'Kipsta' make elbow protectors. These are for skateboarding, skating etc protection.(Dont recommend you take that up but the elbow pads are excellant. They are two for £5, amde of washable material and have about half an inch of padded protection. They come in different sizes and maybe colour, but certainly blue. Certainly not ISSF legal but everyone I know who has them think they are great. I think the store does postage too.

Jonty.

Also not ISSF legal: When I did taekwondo I had forearm protector pads which also covered the elbows. I think they're mad of same type of foam that goes into camping mats and they're covered in elasticated cotton. I probably still have them somewhere...

I know when I started shooting prone rifle my left elbow hurt, but the pain went away, the theory being that your body copes by putting down more cartilage around the joint, e.g. you get bigger/tougher knuckles if you do pressups on your knuckles and/or punch things alot :) When I was at school, someone I knew used to do Thai kick boxing where the idea is to use your shins - they toughened them by bashing them with rolling pins or so he said. Of course I haven't otherwise substantiated this theory in any way, so it could total rubbish!

Maybe you should practice shooting with no padding on a concrete floor, that way when you've got your jacket on and are lying on a mat it'll feel like heaven :)

• 3 weeks later...