Headspace gauge

Mac

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some headspace gauges for a smallbore rifle?

Mac

• 4 weeks later...

:idea: If it is the gauge for setting barrel/bolt headspace, why not make one or have it made for you :?: They are basically a mock .22 round in stainless steel with a rim machined to required thickness (they seem to cost an awful lot for what they are... :shock: ). For an idea of what one looks like, have a look at nealjguns (neal johnson gunsmithing) web catalog.

If you figure out what dimensions you need any competent machinist (me included :D ) could make one for you at a reasonable cost.

If however its a rim thickness gauge for ammo you need, that might be more difficult coz I don't know what they look like... :?

Guest GovTModel

Take a trip to the Eley Customer Range in Birmingham. They have a complete set in .0005 increments from .040 to .046 inches.

Take a trip to the Eley Customer Range in Birmingham.  They have a complete set in .0005 increments from .040 to .046 inches.

Hey Richard, I think it is a little drastic travelling 4/5 hours (at least) just

to check out your headspace :P You going to fly over to check yours :lol:

Come on JV, a few pints will surely do it mate :?:

Guest GovTModel

Actually, from Rhode Island it's about nine hours each way :wink: But while your there you can batch test TENEX as well as watch Bert Brookes, the Chief Range Officer, check your gun for headspace and firing pin indentation.

Actually, from Rhode Island it's about nine hours each way :wink:   But while your there you can batch test TENEX as well as watch Bert Brookes, the Chief Range Officer, check your gun for headspace and firing pin indentation.

It's alright Richard I was only teasing you.

I meant that Mac would have to drive 4 hours and I am nearer 6. We

know Bert well (thanks though).

I think Mac was just wanting to find out where to get the headspace

kit for himself :)

I meant that Mac would have to drive 4 hours and I am nearer 6. We

know Bert well (thanks though).

I think Mac was just wanting to find out where to get the headspace

kit for himself :)

Yup. I'm booked into Eley at the end of March, but that doesn't help if I want to check other peoples rifles, or modify the headspace on my own...

Mac

Take a trip to the Eley Customer Range in Birmingham.  They have a complete set in .0005 increments from .040 to .046 inches.

Hey Richard, I think it is a little drastic travelling 4/5 hours (at least) just

to check out your headspace :P You going to fly over to check yours :lol:

Come on JV, a few pints will surely do it mate :?:

Damn, my major weakness enters discussion! :twisted:

Really guys, these gauges are very, very simple. A decent turner could knock them out in no time flat (ie <30 mins each). After that a decent digital vernier can measure firing pin indentation. (By the way nealjguns.com has gauges listed @$1080.00, surely a typo).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simon jacklin

Mac

Vic Climo at the NSRA has a set. He tested the head space on my 1813 and it was about .42 i think, where it should be (i was told) .36. Need a new bolt handle me thinks. I'm also booked into Eley but on 20th March for a days batch testing. When's your day???

Simon

Mac

Vic Climo at the NSRA has a set. He tested the head space on my 1813 and it was about .42 i think, where it should be (i was told) .36. Need a new bolt handle me thinks. I'm also booked into Eley but on 20th March for a days batch testing. When's your day???

Simon

I think that 36 is too small - I reckon about 40 is right. 42 is probably ok but should be checked regularly to be sure it isn't getting bigger.

Of course you may find that different gauges all give different results - or even different operators will get different results.

Get Bert to check at Eley as well and see how they compare

Guest GovTModel

I, too, believe .036 is too small and am curious how it was measured. The SAAMI minimum is 0.043" and Bert's set at the Eley Customer Range only goes down to 0.040".

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GovTModel

I received permission from SAAMI to copy their drawings of headspace gauges.

If anyone wants a copy snail-mailed, send me your mailing address.

I received permission from SAAMI to copy their drawings of headspace gauges.

If anyone wants a copy snail-mailed, send me your mailing address.

Can you not scan them then and email to people that are interested?

Can you not scan them then and email to people that are interested?

I wouldn't reccomend that for technical drawings, mate. There always seems to be some niggly little B :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ding detail that doesn't scan properly.