Reasonably Priced Cabinet W/top Safe For Ammo

Hemmers

I'm looking for a small (2, maybe 4 gun - whatever I can find that's cheap and legal!) cabinet with a top safe for ammo.

I've found new ones in the £120-150 bracket but does anyone know of any used ones for a bit cheaper?

I've found a used Boxx 3 gun cabinet, that's being sold as a package with a separate Boxx ammo cabinet. Does anyone know about this maker, any horror stories or are they decent quality? Ad states they're built to BS7558:1992, suitable for shotguns and section 1 firearms. Look in decent nick from the photos but then again, photos can be misleading.

Ive got a 6 gun Boxx cabinet and a "holds 6000 without much trouble" Boxx ammo cabinet, they are fine. I don;t think they are still in production, Ive had mine a good 20 years or more, but they seem good quality.

i have had a long drawn out search for gun cabinets and have found three main manafacturers,

C & G

http://www.gandc.co.uk/html/gun.htm

(which i have just ordered four of, they have agreed to make some alterations in manafacturing for little extra cost and are really helpful and friendly (also martin recommended so dont blame me!))

brattonsonsound

http://www.safesecurityservices.co.uk/index.php?cPath=7

(edin uni just bought and have done nothing but moan since)

JFC

http://www.winterfieldsafes.co.uk/prodpage.asp?prodid=89 or

http://www.celticlocksmiths.co.uk/rifle-shotgun-safe.htm

(not heard of anyone owning)

hope this helps

Boxx are still made - I got one a couple of years ago. They are BS standard and appear well made and quite cheap. Not sure what more you might want from a gun safe to be honest, they are after all just a secure cupboard.

Rob.

Guest yardman9
brattonsonsound

We stock Brattonsound cabinets. There backup is excellent. We supplied a cabinet to a shooter in South Wales. After about 3 months he had a key break in a lock on the new cabinet. The shooter could not get to his guns. Brattonsound, at their expense, sent a lock smith all the way there to fix it. I hear you say that it shouldn't break anyway, but Brattonsound don't make the locks.

JC

brattonsonsound

We stock Brattonsound cabinets. There backup is excellent. We supplied a cabinet to a shooter in South Wales. After about 3 months he had a key break in a lock on the new cabinet. The shooter could not get to his guns. Brattonsound, at their expense, sent a lock smith all the way there to fix it. I hear you say that it shouldn't break anyway, but Brattonsound don't make the locks.

JC

:( sorry, was more the design, they bought a nine gun and it is a bit of a tight fit with the extra rifles going round the side, something got damaged. i am sure the build quality is perfect and service impecable, if you are getting a smaller one then you wont have to worry about the nines. :D

they bought a nine gun and it is a bit of a tight fit with the extra rifles going round the side

I have to say that when gun cabinet makers quote the number of guns that a cabinet can hold I immediately think that they mean shotguns (no bolt) or slim sporting/LSR rifles as there is no way .22 target rifles can be accommodated to the number specified.

Nobody seems to have made this point but I certainly believe it. I have a three gun cabinet which I just about managed to get my father's air rifle in with my target rifle once when required.

they bought a nine gun and it is a bit of a tight fit with the extra rifles going round the side

I have to say that when gun cabinet makers quote the number of guns that a cabinet can hold I immediately think that they mean shotguns (no bolt) or slim sporting/LSR rifles as there is no way .22 target rifles can be accommodated to the number specified.

Nobody seems to have made this point but I certainly believe it. I have a three gun cabinet which I just about managed to get my father's air rifle in with my target rifle once when required.

i entirely agree, brattonsound say a 8/9 rifle cabinet. how can it be both? surely if it could sensibly fit 9 they would say just 9. the other thing is the dimensions are no different from the size below!? :rolleyes:

G & C

http://www.gandc.co.uk/html/gun.htm

(which i have just ordered four of, they have agreed to make some alterations in manafacturing for little extra cost and are really helpful and friendly (also martin recommended so dont blame me!))

Well well ... I never knew G&C made guncabinets ... My draughtsman used to be the draughtsman at G&C, he never mentioned they used to make gun cabinets ... perhaps I ought to think about having a go at making a few.

All the desings I've seen have an annoyingly sharp lip at the bottom the seems to be purpose designed to scratch stuff ... and rifles always seem to have a habit of pivoting around and refusing to stack nicely and when one comes out, another one seems to snag and join it ...

cue shameless market research ;)

I wonder what features people would like to see in a cabinet or what features they think are missing from the ones they have already? would dividers to give each rifle its own space help?

I prefer a larger cabinet, around the 6 to 8 gun size .. I was considering putting a "holder" for a GunGuard case on the back of the door, rifles go inthe usual place, the one you use most just stays in its big plastic box, slot it into the back of the door and close it ...

what about door fronts? would some way of fixing a wooden panel, to blend in with other decor and conceal the cabinet help? what about in-built alarm? or built in contacts/switches for connection to a zone on your burglar alarm? built in desicant to attempt to keep the moisture levels under control in damp conditions or when shotguns are put away damp?

If you didn't have to hack away the skirting board to mount the thing, would that help? or a case that you could mount horizontally, with a gas-strut to hold the door up?

internal lockable compartment? for "stuff" or just an internal shelf?

option of left or right opening doors?

what about locks? one of the worries is someone finding the keys ... would key loacks PLUS a combination lock of some sort be of interest .. thats a standard sort of thng in higher security enviroments "something you bring with you, plus someting you know"

I think theres probably a lot more things I haven't thought of that you could do, I guess its a question of what do people want! :) I'd be interested to hear what people actually want from a cabinet, might knock a few up as with the general "factory fortnight" the workload drops from "crazy" to "busy" and theres a bit of time to think about new products ...

I have to say that when gun cabinet makers quote the number of guns that a cabinet can hold I immediately think that they mean shotguns (no bolt) ...

Ummm ... you shouldn't be storing your rifles with the bolt in anyway, so bolt or no-bolt shouldnt make any difference.

Umm - if people were happy spending 5 times more on a gun cabinet then your suggestions sound good. I doubt however most people want anything other than a cheap functional item. Some may prefer something 'pretty' but a metal box in the corner of the spare room is OK with me.

Security aspects - a keypad system might be better as it'd save having to carry the keys with you at all times. And you've pretty much got to have a separate lockable inner area for ammo / bolts - unless of course you want two safes.

Rob.

Guest yardman9

There are gun cabinets/security cabinets out there of every conceivable design. One of the best places to see these has been the SHOT Show in USA. THe average shooter in UK wants the minimum that meets Police requirements. We can get cabinets that look like an antique wardrobe, a chest of drawers even a television cabinet. The list is endless. If you pay the money you can have whatever you like.

JC