T'internet Connection

neil

When you work in a big company you get access to a dedicated lines between a few of you (when you work in the right department ;)) :P

Slightly different if you have to pay for a 10Mb l/line at home though :D

When you work in a big company you get access to a dedicated line between a few of you (when you work in the right department ;):P

Slightly different if you have to pay for a 10Mb l/line at home though  :D

yeah, thats why i do most of my downloading at work

:D

Guest DashClone

We have an 8 mb line at home between the four of us. My flatmates don't use it too much, but I love it. For work of course. My ISP must hate me... :D

post-19-1144850735.jpg

Rock on 8Mbps connection :D:D:D

8 mbps? pah .. worse than dial up ;)

We had "serious" bandwidth at the BBC ... a pair of Nortel STM16s on fibre .... you can get 2.56gbps down one of those .. sadly, they seemd to want to use it for sending video down, rather than improving my internet browsing experience .. I dunno, some employers just dont have a care huh ;)

Some years ago, I was working at a large phamacutical company with a multiple pipes to the internet, dedicated lines to the states and other parts of the world, etc. But internet browsing during peak hours was so slow that once I had time to get my laptop out, plug in the dial-up modem, connect to my ISP and browse to a web page in the time the desktop PC connected to the company network took to browse to the same page!

... a pair of Nortel STM16s on fibre .... you can get 2.56gbps down one of those

<Deep Thought> Bother me not with such pocket calculator stuff </Deep Thought>

Five years ago a team of four of us were putting together the software for a 40G optical networking chip; right now I've got a 10G system sitting next to my desk in the same FPGA fabric as a pair of 250MHz PowerPCs.

:) :) Granted, it's in loopback and not actually connected to the web, but then who said the world was fair? :) :)

PS Bill can probably fix you up with a decent bandwidth Alcatel system, cheap as chips...

Granted, it's in loopback and not actually connected to the web, but then who said the world was fair? :) :)

Our 2.56gb system was at least a proper netwrok .. a company called "energis" draped some fibres along the lectricity pylons for us ... along the earth wire onthe top :) ... neat little robotic crawler thing they had too which crawled along the wire, loosley wrapping a fibre around it as it went ...

Not so much GEEKS as people talking a foreign language! It's like evesdropping on a secret society.

ach, you are just winding my up now .. next you'll be pretending you don't know what Plesiochronous Digital Hierarchy is, or that youve never tried spoofing ARP packets on your company network just for fun on a rainy day.

ach, you are just winding my up now .. next you'll be pretending you don't know what Plesiochronous Digital Hierarchy is, or that youve never tried spoofing ARP packets on your company network just for fun on a rainy day.

:huh:

Is the Plesiochronous Digital Hierarchy a carnivore or herbivore?

:lol: