Good 3p Rifle Required.

Guest NobbyDooDaa

Guest NobbyDooDaa

Having been shooting prone .22 for (quite) a few years with my trusty 1907. I would now like to upgrade and move on to do some 3P.

I'm looking for a good 3P rifle. Eg 2013 or similar.

Not too fussy about aluminium or wood stock.

Will be selling 1907 after my upgrade.

TIA

Apart from the 20xx, Anschutz haven't changed the Match 54 action since the start. Your 1907 will fit any Anschutz 54 stock. You may try looking for stocks that have been traded in as the previous owner has upgraded to aluminium. I'd stay away from older Anschutz 1413 stocks, as these won't have an adjustable cheekpiece, but an 1813 or 1913 would be suitable.

Or as Batty suggested you could buy a new metal stock, although this is more expensive.

Very much so, it's why I have restocked my 1407 barrel/action with an 1813, and now a Gemini stock.

Guest NobbyDooDaa

Thanks for the advice but I think I would also like the heavier/longer barrel.

I have used an old 1413(?) and much preferred the extra weight, some of which is also in the stock as well.

Having looked on the Anschutz website it looks like most of the extra weight is in the stock.

What do you guys think that that extra 3cm of barrel gives you?

I feel that I have outgrown my 1907, which I bought from new as a junior but will now consider just a stock upgrade.

Thanks for the advice but I think I would also like the heavier/longer barrel.

I have used an old 1413(?) and much preferred the extra weight, some of which is also in the stock as well.

Having looked on the Anschutz website it looks like most of the extra weight is in the stock.

What do you guys think that that extra 3cm of barrel gives you?

I feel that I have outgrown my 1907, which I bought from new as a junior but will now consider just a stock upgrade.

i can recommend a Barry Nesom Tube and foresight, available up to 12inch extension

(no rude comments please gentlemen)

The longer barrel that Anschutz use on their xx11, xx10 and xx13 models is also slightly (2mm) larger in diameter than the 66cm job used on the xx07. It weights about 1/2 lb more.

The heavier barrel should give a little more stability, basically it should move less in position and less on firing.

As Batty said, tubes can be used to extend the sight radius. I use a 6" job from Barry Nesom, bought for just this reason, as I have my rearsight very far forwards on the receiver. The extra weight does help; I did notice that the muzzle moved less during recoil.

If you get a heavier barrel you can't make it lighter, however if you stick with your current barrel you can put weights on the rifle and make it heavier.

I wonder if the question of heat dissipation comes into that, or if there's sufficient mass in the lighter barrel to make it negligible?

My far-from-expert opinion would be that it wouldn't make a difference in smallbore, wouldn't know about fullbore.

Thinking about it, I know that the lightweight FWB barrel is only lighter than the heavyweight FWB barrel because of a difference in diameter of the barrel, and I don't believe that there is any noticable difference in performance. I don't think that there's a difference in performance of an 07 barrel against a 13, so probably any difference caused by heat dissipation is negligible.

But I'm just rambling. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me. :D

My far-from-expert opinion would be that it wouldn't make a difference in smallbore, wouldn't know about fullbore.

Thinking about it, I know that the lightweight FWB barrel is only lighter than the heavyweight FWB barrel because of a difference in diameter of the barrel, and I don't believe that there is any noticable difference in performance. I don't think that there's a difference in performance of an 07 barrel against a 13, so probably any difference caused by heat dissipation is negligible.

But I'm just rambling. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me. :D

i agree in the rambling in that the size of the charge is smaller than fullbore and the barrel thickness is bigger

and Emma and myself are women and obviously correct!!!!!