Dicounted Fuel!!

Rudd

I see no harm in doing so. The bloke who runs it is quite well known in Japanese performance car circles.

I wonder if the discount card scheme will ever come in to effect, it'll be great if it does!

I wonder if the discount card scheme will ever come in to effect, it'll be great if it does!

It's hard to see how it could have any real affect ...

as the website says "over 70p a litre is taken in tax" ...

so, unleaded is 93p a litre ... that leaves 23p a litre for the actual fuel and its delivery ... I *know* there is very little that can be taken from the filling stations slice of the action .. they barely make a profit in many cases ... from what I was told they get around 4p per litre sold, the filling stations are usually franchises, run by small companies, often husband and wife sort fo size, I cant see you managing to squezze any major savings out of them .. ... that leaves 19p ... I took a major chain (Texaco) that had revenues (2001) of around 13 billion and made an operating profit of 788 million ... 788/13000 = 6% .. so its possible you could screw the 19p actual fuel cost down by 6% if you forced the oil companies into a break even position .. 6% of 19p is a little over 1p ... I can't see any space for "huge" reductions on the price based on screwing down the oil companies either ...

The only way I see you being able to screw the price down is if you can persuade the government to reduce the tax (which is after all the largest share) ... of course, if they take it off fuel they will have to put it on something else ... personally I would prefer it stayed on fuel, I dont't do many miles, and I use a fairly small and economical diesel ... if I got charged an extra penny on income tax I'd be less than happy!

the REAL answer is of course to either use a more economical verhicle or simply convert to LPG, 33p a litre anyone???

I see no need to spend hours debating tax on fuel and alternatives on this forum. I posted this link as it seems like a good idea. My concern is will there be the interest required to allow the organisers to start negotiations with a major fuel supplier? Let's keep our fingers crossed. ;)

Thanks for acknowledging my PB :)

Graham

• 3 months later...

I've signed up but a chap i know wrote this;

"5p a litre saving. 20 litres of fuel you save £1. So you save £1 for every long journey you do.

Not exactly amazing savings. Could save £1 in fuel on a long journey by removing the back seats and spare wheel.

Even if you did a long journey every week, thats a basic saving of £1 a week. £52 a year. In the grand scheme of things its not alot. £50 wont buy you a weeks shopping.

For it to be of interest it would have to be saving me hundreds of pounds. Its like loyalty cards. Spends £100 and get £1 from the supermarket. Big deal. 1% discount is shit, and i would waste my time carrying a card around for a 1% discount."

- he has a point.

frankly, fuel is already too cheap ... it should be put up, not down. There is precious little of it left, my business sufferes because I can;t efficiently deliver, due to the ridiculous volumes of traffic on the roads (it seems even those in the most menial employment can afford to buy and run a car, that can;t be right) .. stick 30% on it tomorow, and I'll be as happy as larry.

You will never get people onto public transport while it is so ridiculously over priced. My Corsa costs me 27p a mile to run all in. The buses here in Birmingham cost between 65p and £1.30p a mile. It is cheaper for me to drive my wife to work and then go and get her afterwards than a single one way trip on the bus.

You will never get people onto public transport while it is so ridiculously over priced. My Corsa costs me 27p a mile to run all in. The buses here in Birmingham cost between 65p and £1.30p a mile. It is cheaper for me to drive my wife to work and then go and get her afterwards than a single one way trip on the bus.

No, when I've had petrol put up to a tenner a gallon and road tax to nearer 500 quid, your corsa will no longer be as cheap as it is and taking the bus will be significantly more cost effective. The National Conegstion Charge (which will make driving into Birmingham a castly excercise) shoudl solve the matter once and for all.

No, when I've had petrol put up to a tenner a gallon and road tax to nearer 500 quid, your corsa will no longer be as cheap as it is and taking the bus will be significantly more cost effective. The National Conegstion Charge (which will make driving into Birmingham a castly excercise) shoudl solve the matter once and for all.

Oh contre, the greedy private, remember there is no "public", transport companies will jack up prices in line with your increase in charges.

Now, Sheffield had a great genuinely public transport system, all fares were 5 pence. Auntie maggies simple minded capitalism put paid to that, one month later bus use had gone down by 20% 3 months later down by 50% with a comeasurate increase in car use.

£500.00 road tax, choose your wall comrade. :D

Its not just simply about cost, either. To take my son to school in the morning takes about 20 to 25 minutes each way. To do the journey by public transport would involve:-

- a 20 minute walk to the bus stop

- wait for a bus (5-10 minutes? not sure)

- 15 minute bus trip to the underground station

- 5-10 minute wait for a train

- 6 minute train journey

- 20 minute walk to the school

Thats about 1hr 15 mins, or about 3 times as long as it takes in the car!

And then there's getting back again...

When it comes to transport, the usual rules of supply and demand elasticity don't apply. Most of the journeys that people take by private car are because they have to. Certainly in and around London, you only use the car if public transport is not suitable for your journey. That is why, despite what Mr. Livingstone says, the congestion charge has made very little impact on the number of vehicles inside the zone. Like speed cameras, it is first and foremost a revenue generating scheme.

Surely, Clive, if that's your local school then the council should help out?

I drive a car. But only when I have rifle and kitbag with me. And for most journeys, I do have rifle and kitbag with me.