300 Bar Diving Cylinder

Guest Terry Baldwin

Guest Terry Baldwin

For Sale a 300 bar 7Ltr diving cylinder fitted with a surface valve and small pressure gauge. The cylinder is apprx 6 months old and still of the first charge of air when I brought it from the diving shop !!.

I'm looking for £100 for the cylinder.

Regards Terry.

Terry,

Do you have the certificate of test that came with the unit, if so, I am interested (collect from Bisley?)

Paul

Guest Terry Baldwin

Paul, the cylinder was brand new, I don't remember getting a test certificate with the cylinder, I'll phone the shop on Monday and ask the question !.

Regards Terry

• 1 month later...

If it is new you dont get a test cert.

Instead the "tested until date" is stamped on the cylinder - assuming it is steel, dont know what they do with carbon. On mine it is a MMYY format and valid 3 yrs from mrf (not purchase).

After that you test. If you mark the cyl as "for on-shore use only" you can get a 5 year instead of a 3 year cert I believe.

After that you test. If you mark the cyl as "for on-shore use only" you can get a 5 year instead of a 3 year cert I believe.

I was lead to believe that if the cylinder valve was capable of accepting a diving regulator then they would only give you a 3 year cert. You can purchase "surface valves" which are for "surface use only". The problem I have encountered is that dive shops; quite understandably; don't know anything about surface use.

If anyone can provide chapter and verse on this one I would be grateful.

Rutty

Cylinders within the date of manufacture do not need a test cert.

Carbon cylinders test dates are placed on the cylinder by way of a label encapsulated in epoxy resin.

I vaguely remember that the 5 year thing went out with the updated regs but don't quote me as I have been retired for 3 months and so I have forgotten most of it.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/pdf/standard/tpfw3.pdf

My dive cylinder is now outside ordinary spec but I still got it filled up. I had a discussion in the shop mainly because I didn't have a 'surface use only' sticker on it (I was never asked to before). Anyway they filled it up OK and it now has the sticker on it. I think it now needs retesting in early 2007, for the 5 years.

Rob.