Old .22 1813 Barrel And Action

Guest en2ah

Guest en2ah

I'm after an old and unwanted 1813 barrel and action that i can have to get deactivated for dry fire training. Can be shot out, have a bent barrel etc.

Would much prefer the trigger to be working.

Anyone who may have one, or knows of someone who has one that wants rid, please let me know....

Thanks.

Wouldn't snap caps or spent cases be a lot cheaper! Also are current deactivated firearms allowed to have working mechanisms?

Guest en2ah

Yes it is a lot cheaper, however as I am still at uni for another 2 years and living in rented accommodation. It would be easier to have a rifle deactivated for £130 and keep it under my bed then having all the hassle of having a gun cabinet installed and inspected each time i move house. There is a place on campus that can store my rifle, going to get it 3 times a week is a right pain in the backside (with having to get keys for people etc), especially with the free time problems i will be having in my 4th and 5th year...

Spending the money would save a lot of time in the long run... it' something I’ve put a lot of thought into...

I'm not 100% sure on the trigger mechanism working, I briefly read though the deactivation criteria and I don't remember reading anything about the actual trigger mechanism, maybe what they have to do to the bolt may stop the trigger actually releasing.. I would like to know for sure if anyone has any more info...

I'm after an old and unwanted 1813 barrel and action that i can have to get deactivated for dry fire training. Can be shot out, have a bent barrel etc.

Whilst it may be better than nothing, I would suggest that dry firing should be practised with the gun that you are using and not a replica of it. It isn't really too much hassle having a gun cabinet fitted and inspected - although I can appreciate in rented accomodation the landlord might not want it bolted to his walls and/or firearms on the property.

Rob.

Guest en2ah

Well that’s what I am doing at the moment... but even now it's a 80min round trip to get to my rifle, then when I get back to uni in September it will probably be similar when I have been to pick it up and take it back and get keys and permission etc.

The rifle won't be too dissimilar to my own, I’ll drop it in my current stock, and use my current equipment. The only difference will be the foresight as the grooves are different on my current 1913. Another worry is the weight difference due to machining when deactivating, but that should be easily solvable…

Hmm can certainly sympathise, I'm still at Uni myself (eight years and counting!). I'm lucky though Exeter has an on-campus range with a big armoury that my Match 54 sits nicely in.

However I think Rob has a point. You will either need to buy a duplicate stock and sights, or have the hassle of constantly removing your action from the stock.

Will you be at BUSA?

Guest en2ah

Well I wouldn't be doing a huge amount of live firing, once a week... it only takes two seconds to undo the bedding bolts and sights, and I have a good torque wrench to make sure everything goes back together the same way... I still think the benefits heavily out weigh not getting a deactivated barrel and action

..yeah I will be at BUSA, however I suspect that I will be the only one from Bath... not the most organised people I have met... oh well a team of 1 is better then none...

Guest ilovemybed

I'd be wary about regularly undoing bolts and swapping stocks - they're sure to wear the threads eventually and I'm not sure what the implications of re-tapping an action are.

I'd be wary about regularly undoing bolts and swapping stocks

If your using a wooden stock you should really be loosening the bedding bolts and re-tourqueing it every time you shoot anyway as the temp, humidity etc makes the wood expand or contract. It won't harm the action providing you make sure theres no rubbish between the threads to be ground around...

That said it seems a pain to have to spend that sort of money to deactivate a rifle ( dinged barrel or not) just to dry train :(

Guest en2ah

I have an Anschutz 2213 stock, so it shouldn't be a problem...

The cost isn't really an issue, it's something i have been wanted to get for years but have never gotten round to it... i'm sure i'll save the £130 needed for deactivating and proofing in a few months on petrol that i would be saving... and will easily last thought my final 2 years at uni... and who knows i could even sell it on to someone then who's in the same situation i'm in now...