2013 Tube

Guest ksilver766

Guest ksilver766

I've just got my hands on a short barrel 2013 and would like to try it with the extended front tube.

Anybody got one lying around?

I have only ever heard that Anschutz short barreled target rifles were never as good as they were held out to be :o

And no I haven't seen an extended front tube drop of the back of a lorry recently :D

This years Roberts winner uses a short barreled 2013 so they can`t be all bad

No, but they have a reputation for not lasting all that long... Plus, shooting in a big wind on Century isn't the same thing as putting together world class scores in a more controlled environment.

Now that tubes have been mentioned again, what is latest thinking on their effect on the bullet flight after leaving the muzzle. We know that they can be good for increasing the sight base and this helps those whose sight might not be what it used to be but that's not my query.

The protagonists argument is to say that it provides a controlled protective environment which helps the bullet accurately on its way without external wind effect

The antagonists would argue that the space beyond the muzzle is confined and the bullet will be affected by being bombarded by the gases and crud from the charge which it would be less susceptible to without a tube - which is I suppose why some prefer the hammerhead solution.

Interestingly, now that I shoot air pistol and the same applies to some free pistols they argue that compensators are great because they either direct the exhaust and crud away from the rear of the bullet in free pistol or with air are useful to counteract the rise of the barrel if the surplus gas is directed upwards.

So with pistol its great to avoid/reduce the effect of the gas and crud on the bullet and with a rifle and tube the opposite seems to apply. Surely only one of these can be right?

Has anyone thought of designing a compensator like the SAM FP on a rifle to direct the gas and crud away from behind the bullet and see if its beneficial?

Would those be legal? I have some vague memory that barrels aren't allowed to have extra holes in them under international rules. Could be completely wrong though.

Tim

I never thought to consider that so you may well be right but if so why should pistols be allowed and rifles not?

Tim

I never thought to consider that so you may well be right but if so why should pistols be allowed and rifles not?

Robert,

Isn't that just the nature of the beast ? I'm sure there's technical arguments for and against but the bottom line is it's up to the ISSF to make up the rules. Isn't it a bit like the new rapid fire pistol rules in that ported barrels are not allowed (if I remember correctly). Those same barrels are permitted in other events yet surely the same applies i.e. they reduce the kick up. And I guess the main factor is that all competitors are subject to the same rules and regulations in any one event so does it really matter ?

Rob.

Sorry about not thinking about the rules - I was focussing on what I thought was an interesting technical point but it can't be interesting if its not allowed! :rolleyes:

7.4.2.2 states that barrels and extension tubes must not be perforated in any way.

It would be quite interesting to try, similar to a muzzle break used on full-bore rifles,

Guest ilovemybed
7.4.2.2 states that barrels and extension tubes must not be perforated in any way.

It would be quite interesting to try, similar to a muzzle break used on full-bore rifles,

I wonder why not?

[isn't it a bit like the new rapid fire pistol rules in that ported barrels are not allowed (if I remember correctly). Those same barrels are permitted in other events yet surely the same applies i.e. they reduce the kick up.

It is only Free Pistol and Air Pistol where you are allowed ported barrels.

They are not allowed in the other cartridge events.

That is one of the reasons why it is so much easier to get higher scores in the 25m events if you use an LP5 as opposed to the correct cartridge guns.

The ported barrel on the 25m guns was for recoil reduction and recovery for multi-shot events so that the second and subsequent shot sight picture could be acquired quicker leaving by reducing or eliminating sight displacement. The old Olympic Rapid Fire obviously benefited greatly from the option of .22 short ammunition as well as a ported barrel.

For air and free pistol, the recoil recovery or recoil minimisation assists technique and follows through; it is neither assistance to nor following testing a hindrance upon accuracy :huh:

I was reminded that larger long range full-bore rifles “compensators” are mainly muzzle flash suppressants so that the position of a shooter is not given away :ph34r: They also reduce the felt recoil to the shooter – but I don’t think these guys go for a full 60 shot match plus sighting shots. The is a penalty as shooters either side of the shooter equipped with this kit gets a hefty blast of air and some of the shock wave. The bullets in this type of gun leave the barrel supersonic and hit the target before passing through the sound barrier.