System Gemini Cheekpiece

tim s

Does anyone have a spare wooden cheekpiece for a System Gemini? I just need the wood, not the metal gubbins. Maple would be ideal, but I'll take laminate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, jonty said:

Tim,

Would someone be able to produce one from a 3D printer?

I appreciate its not wood.

J

I expect so, but I don't know anyone with a 3D printer.

I've no objection to plastic if anyone has a SG cheekpiece and a printer!

Hi Nick,

I'm really sorry, but I can't open the file. Is it just the plastic top, or the whole shebang with the adjustable bits? Iight be interested in the complete bit, so long as I can work out how to put it on the Gemini base. Just the plastic top probably wouldn't be idea as it's a fair bit thinner than my Gemini, and mounting would seem an issue.

On 02/11/2023 at 17:21, tim s said:

Hi Nick,

I'm really sorry, but I can't open the file. Is it just the plastic top, or the whole shebang with the adjustable bits? Iight be interested in the complete bit, so long as I can work out how to put it on the Gemini base. Just the plastic top probably wouldn't be idea as it's a fair bit thinner than my Gemini, and mounting would seem an issue.

Hi Tim,

Ah, probably not of much use then! It's just the plastic part. Although if you can get it working, changing the object around a bit should be easy enough in software...

The file was exported from TinkerCad, so if you need it in a different format I think it can be converted directly to .OBJ there - past that I'm a bit stumped! I don't have a printer, and I've always had someone else do the donkey work for me :)

1 hour ago, nicklock said:

Hi Tim,

Ah, probably not of much use then! It's just the plastic part. Although if you can get it working, changing the object around a bit should be easy enough in software...

The file was exported from TinkerCad, so if you need it in a different format I think it can be converted directly to .OBJ there - past that I'm a bit stumped! I don't have a printer, and I've always had someone else do the donkey work for me :)

Nick,

I'm really sorry, but I don't understand your second paragraph. I think it's meant to be helpful, and that's much appreciated, but my IT skills are minimal.

To everyone else, I'd like the wooden part of a SG cheekpiece. I have one already, but after years of reshaping and adding epoxy, I'd like spare to start again.

Tim,

Having re-read the posts above, the fault is mine - I see that I've been a bit confused as to who has a 3D printer :)

@trshooter might well be able to modify the file I posted, to make the attachment point sturdier and suitable for bolting onto the SG carrier, and sort you out with a physical copy. Have a word with him if you can quantify the difference between the Precise and SG, and see what can be worked out?

Nick,

Thank you. I see what you mean now.

I doubt I'd pursue a Precise cheekpiece top, the plastic part. Simply I suspect it would sit much too far to the left  and wouldn't allow room for my face. The Precise is designed to go on hardware that's mounted on the right hand side of the stock, where the SG is mounted centrally. Although I could adjust it across, because the top is less tall, the hardware would be jammed into my face, rather than 1-1.5in below.

Making a spacer would be worthwhile if I had the Precise hardware, as the SG lacks in-position lateral adjustment, but not jyst for the top.