Scatt System

Guest Terry Baldwin

I don;t suppose anyone has a source of decent PSU's for Scatt systems? Mine was supplied with a very poor quality, non CE marked adapter which fell apart in a dangerous way the second time I used it, I'd like to swap it for a better one, but my source of such things has a minimum shipment of 5 for that particular flavour of PSU, somewhat more than I need!!

Anyone had similar Scatt trouble or locate4d a decent stockist of plugtop supplies ??

Ah yes indeed, maplin do seem to have some AC/AC adaptors, and I spy a 12V 1A one, for £9.99 Ideal! ... not that many places seem to sell AC->AC adaptors these days, I'd forgotten about Maplin though, thanks ...

It sort of reminded me it did .. I do like the Scatt thing, but when you spend the best part of 750 quid on it and it turns up with a non CE marked, 2 pin power supply, that you cant fit into a UK plug, no UK-> 2 pin adaptor and it falls apart the second day you use it, a bit annoying. I did contact the importer to try and get a proper 3 pin, CE marked adaptor but his only offer was to send the whole thing off to Russia to get it 'mended' ... "probably a 3 month turnaround" ... not exactly helpful, and a replacement never arrived. Apart from that it *is* a really nice bit of kit!!

Ah yes indeed, maplin do seem to have some AC/AC adaptors, and I spy a 12V 1A one, for £9.99 Ideal! ...

I need a power supply as well

However since I am an electical dunce, can you give me the part number from Maplin, or an exact description (is what is there enough?). I just want to be sure that I get the right thing before I plug it in.

Jim

Ah yes indeed, maplin do seem to have some AC/AC adaptors,  and I spy a 12V 1A one, for £9.99 Ideal! ...

I need a power supply as well

However since I am an electical dunce, can you give me the part number from Maplin, or an exact description (is what is there enough?). I just want to be sure that I get the right thing before I plug it in.

Jim

Beware, some use 12Vac, some use 12Vdc and others use 5Vdc. I cannot remember which version had which voltage.

You need to check which version you have and also the maximum current output of the existing supply unit. From memory even the early Russian PSUs had the voltage and current on them.

Also, certainly for the dc units, it is important that you get a regulated output. I don't think that is an option on the ac units.

The safest bet is to get one that has a rating similar to the one you already have ... I remember when I looked inside mine (which has a 12V AC adaptor) it fed a bridge rectifier and then a small 5V regulator, so in theory you'd be fine sticking an AC adaptor or a DC adaptor into it, the polarity wouldn't be an issue here. MIne is one of the newer ones (little box about 100mm square, 30mm deep) I think some of the older models are different.

If you are unsure, get an adaptor the same rating as the original ... if you care to post the wording on the plate of your original adaptor, I'm sure a happy throng of experts will soon list the suitable part numbers from Maplin for you. (or better still, Farnell)

The safest bet is to get one that has a rating similar to the one you already have ... I remember when I looked inside mine (which has a 12V AC adaptor) it fed a bridge rectifier and then a small 5V regulator, so in theory you'd be fine sticking an AC adaptor or a DC adaptor into it, the polarity wouldn't be an issue here. MIne is one of the newer ones (little box about 100mm square, 30mm deep) I think some of the older models are different.

The one I have has the same size black box but has a 12Vdc adaptor. I have also seen some with 5Vdc.

Going like-for-like is very good advice.