Twiddly things for Freeland scopes

jimrward

25 minutes ago, NorrieS said:

Jim,

I think Bedford Target Supplies make twiddlies

BTS list twiddly things in their website, but these appear to be out of stock, and have been for months.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Chaps, 

can I enquire - what is the main reason for needing the ‘twiddly thing’? 
I have a Freeland stand which I only use for prone. With my heavy scope ( slightly nose heavy) it gradually sinks due to the design of the friction knob.,

is it this reason that people want the ‘twiddly thing’ ? To adjust upwards during a shoot? Or is it something that kneeling and prone shooters also use?

if it is only the first then I have made a simple adjustable support that fits below the scope and sandwiches onto the leg to keep the scope from drooping. Set up scope, adjust sliding support , tighten wing nut, voila. 
I await the flak! 🤣

If I have got the wrong end of the stick so to speak then good luck with the search for a ‘twiddly thing’😊

1 hour ago, Martin S said:

Chaps, 

can I enquire - what is the main reason for needing the ‘twiddly thing’? 
I have a Freeland stand which I only use for prone. With my heavy scope ( slightly nose heavy) it gradually sinks due to the design of the friction knob.,

is it this reason that people want the ‘twiddly thing’ ? To adjust upwards during a shoot? Or is it something that kneeling and prone shooters also use?

if it is only the first then I have made a simple adjustable support that fits below the scope and sandwiches onto the leg to keep the scope from drooping. Set up scope, adjust sliding support , tighten wing nut, voila. 
I await the flak! 🤣

If I have got the wrong end of the stick so to speak then good luck with the search for a ‘twiddly thing’😊

Simpler: allows zoom in so perhaps only 1 diagram is in view at say 100yds, twiddly thing for vertical and if 50m/yds just nudge the leg for horizontal as well or have 2 in the picture and adjust vertical only.

Not much if any use indoors as far as I know

-V

Thanks. I tend to have all targets in the viewfinder rather than individual but understand how you are using yours. I use it at 50 and 100 but don’t zoom in that close- if it clips a line so be it but I am really only using it to sight adjust. 

I prefer the moniker 'flexible adjuster'.

When I get down into position, it is easy to fine adjust the scope into the position you require. With a right hand shooter, with the scope and stand on the left and the left hand set in the sling, it was always difficult to try to reach the old round headed adjuster, the flexible adjuster eliminates this problem.

Im surprised someone isnt turning them out by the bucket load. Just a word to the wise. Ive noticed that some of the original adjusting knobs, mainly on Tuckers stands, can have different threads. This could of course be due to someone re-tapping the hole to fit a different knob, if they have lost the original and decided to replace it with an easier to obtain thread. I think, from memory, that in Andrew Tucker stands, the thread was 'UNF'.  This can easily be checked by taking the diameter of the threaded knob, and checking it against details of threads that can easily be found on a Google search. These details will give you 'Threads per inch' so using a rule, count the threads. This should correspond with the old known threads, BSF, BSW, UNF and UNC. Metric threads were not used in days of yore. As for the Freeland scope, being American, they are more than likely to be one of the first above four threads.

Jonty

Yup Jonty totally agree re why the flexible adjuster is necessary for right hand shooters. I leave my scope attached to the stand so most of the time it is at the correct height. Outdoors it may require some vertical adjustment depending on the type of ground and I have a standard height to set it to with tape measure which means I am pretty close to correct straight away but as we all know it is those last few mms that are a bu883r and when the adjuster comes into its own. As everyone says there is a demand for a quality one so someone could charge a decent amount if they could produce it. 

Personally, I think the flexible adjuster is one of the most useful items you could use in target shooting, obviously on stands that will accept them.

UNC sounds right, UNF (Unified national Fine (Thread)) the C is for Coarse. With Fine you would be winding it forever.