Twiddly things for Freeland scopes

jimrward

As you all know these are nigh on impossible to find so I have been experimenting and built a few prototypes with different knobs etc

whilst in principle they work the main obstacle I have found on a new Freeland stand is the robustness of the spring and spigot at the opposite end of the cantilever the hardness of the spring and the aluminium of the spigot rubbing on the metal stand. I am currently trying to wear the spigot in and applying bike chain lube until I can source a slightly lighter spring which will do the job it’s supposed to do but with less resistance 

if you have an older Freeland stand that might be suitably bedded in then I have a couple of these available for sale until such time as I can make some more

£20 per item plus postage which I need to Jiffy bag one up and weigh it at the post office to get a proper price

2 different type of knobs, the silver one can be done in black or bronze coloured once I make more up depending on demand 

8053EC7C-2AFB-4487-9AA0-CE14ACD605E2.jpeg

Edited by jimrward

Hi Jim

This is a topic in which I have an interest. Yes the right spring difficult to obtain and I also have a problem in sourcing suitable diameter Bowden cable. 
Assuming the plunger sleeve is 8mm OD then spring dia would be 6mm with a 1mm wire. Spring length 20mm. 
The cable I consider should be 3.5/4mm dia and flexible hence the use of a Bowden cable rather than a 7-19 wire cable. 
Now if you know of a secret supplier of Bowden cables of this size would be interested to hear. 
Take care

Joe 

Hi Jim

I will take one.

I made one, friends an engineer so gave me the correct thread types & size.

I used stainless steel wire. Trouble is I didn't use the stiffest one so had trouble with the cable just twisting with out turning the screw.

Can you forward your details please.

Many thanks,

Mick

Hi Mick

just as you discovered the wire rope is not flexible and thus becomes difficult to turn the screw. Hence the need for a Bowden cable where the wire is wound in a different way is flexible and will enable the screw to be turned smoothly. 
However the Bowden cable is routinely used for brake cables eg bicycles and comes in 1.0-2.0mm OD but for scope control 3.0-4.0mm is more suited. The search continues. 
Best regards

Joe

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Hi Mick

just as you discovered the wire rope is not flexible and thus becomes difficult to turn the screw. Hence the need for a Bowden cable where the wire is wound in a different way is flexible and will enable the screw to be turned smoothly. 
However the Bowden cable is routinely used for brake cables eg bicycles and comes in 1.0-2.0mm OD but for scope control 3.0-4.0mm is more suited. The search continues. 
Best regards

Joe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113323797992?hash=item1a629fede8:g:WI4AAOSwhX1fmard&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoMQi87vnhJHdsiUPivmVhi%2F5dCM8hJlHgUlm9Z9c4mUjR8eZLnQvsDlbntI3lM4ifeYez7H6AMY3Ur%2BLXlsD2IDjQykDnsbDWNR2BqfagQEySxZsCZbJeD8FSngX0fIkzAfdwdgwzG4Y3WVwSKkBj5z1h7Gi7WWbFfrtU0yJt5Q2Wo0Einy4SAvJDuw4z6sz%2BVyszyJqwQS7Re4a5V%2B%2BEdY%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4Tf36LYYA     some machinery & motorbike cable might be 4mm OD bowden cable.

alos might those work & stop the screw locking up? https://www.wixroyd.com/en/catalog/design-elements/spring-index-plungers-ball-lock-pins/spring-plunger-detent-pins/imperial-inch-plunger/3b200/g+m+c+s+a

I am waiting on delivery of some alternative springs for testing before I decide next step whether it is a spring solution or different cabling 

apologies for the silence

today I used my Freeland stand with modified cantilever springs and all went well, however I feel a few more mods are required to drive the Freeland mechanism hopefully removing the need for a spring alternative even though it works it may well degrade quicker over time, as memory serves me my previous twiddly for a Freeland took weeks to work properly so it does work given time

@JamesMeekin1984i will look into an m6 option along with tucker stands this week,they may require less torsional effort and possibly more straight forward 

I will report back soon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all thank you for your interest

over the past week I have had numerous requests for various scope stands and have been sourcing the materials so I can hopefully produce the the required items in modular format as and when required in shortest turnaround 

so far only the paramount m6 might be a potential problem firstly in tracking down one in use and secondly the drilling of the core

production for Freeland and tucker should hopefully start this week after some testing with new materials

apologies for the delay I would rather get it right first time rather than dissatisfaction 

Jim - I'd LOVE one! Mine (from Bedford Target Supplies) has broken AGAIN! Just not up to the job!!!!

I'd like it to be about 5cm longer than the BTS ones - not sure if that kills its function?!?!? I have a freeland scope stand (with the funny American thread- 5/16ths I think).

Might I put an order in please for when it is convenient? It's me, Chris Hunter. Am on chunter177@hotmail.com .

Thanks

Chris

• 8 months later...

Yep

Still very interested.

If you can forward me your bank info as a PM.

Pref The silver knob but not too fused.

Regards,

Mick