Torque Wrench

PaulN

Try ebay, i bought one from a chap in Canada, a brand new Gehmann wrench for about £35 including delivery, not sure if he's got any more, but worth a try.

I'm looking for a torque wrench to tighten up the bedding bolts on my Anschutz.

I had a chat with some mechanical engineer types at my former employer (we made pieces of kit that got flung around the sky at 8G in fighter aircraft) on the subject of torque wrenches, just before I bought one; I was worried about their accuracy and calibration needs. They pointed out that the single biggest factor in torque setting is whether the bolt being tightened is oiled or not.

As Robert Nibbs has pointed out, 70% of the torque is spent overcoming the friction between the back of the bolt head and the surface it rests on - not the thread.

It's worth pointing out that if you take your sights off when packing the rifle, it's well worth keeping the fixing bolts oiled; if you don't you'll eventually find that the sight bolts are terribly stiff, while the sights aren't tightly fixed. If those fixing bolts are bone dry (a slight screech as you tighten them), you're quite likely to break them before you get your sights well mounted.

I have an ahg one spare, I'd take 25 quid plus postage for it. Its in good nick, bout 3 years old, stored unwound. I got hold of one of those screwdriver ones on ebay for cheap (thanks to a mis spelling when it was posted lol) and I DO think they're a better job than the anschutz ones, and i can get mine calibrated at the local plane making facility (what doesn't everyone have one?) that said if you just want to get the same every time then ahg is prob plenty good enuff, its here if you want it.

Kind regards, Rob