Jump to content

Target Rifle for beginner


MarkJ
 Share

Recommended Posts

You missed out by a couple of weeks on a very, very reasonably priced Swing!

Look on Gunstar, Guntrader or similar, TRs come up every now & then; 7.62 / 308 = the same thing as far as TR is concerned. Got a variation yet in your FAC? Might take a while depending on your local Police authority. 
 

Fultons of Bisley have some secondhand stock - this one looks reasonable- but you will always pay a bit extra from Fultons. Useful though if you need quick adjustments/ tweaks. 
 

To get a good rifle, decent action, good barrel, sights & reasonable stock, you will probably have to budget about £1k or slightly more. 
 

Any TR club local to you to see if anyone is selling a rifle? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Pippin89 said:

Also worth keeping an eye on Holts auctions.

Holt - yep, but timescale  /  availability  / travel options not always ideal (one month to collect after auction of have dispatched to RFD).  Note the Buyer’s Premium of 25% (& VAT of course).

Whilst difficult to compare guide prices versus achieved prices (as no general tgt rifles in their last auction), a lot of the "popular" firearms sales went quite a way over the guide price. If  you fork out £1000 on Holts, plus their Buyer's Premium + VAT, then other options (if available of course) could well be cheaper.

This one on Guntrader has a 'scope (flog it off to buy the TR rear sights) & a shorter than ideal barrel. New barrel = about £900 so worth looking at.

Gunstar option

Very basic P14 (not the best action, but useable) on Gunwatch, cheap & cheerful.

Reasonable Musgrave (but harder to get spares for them) here.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just from my experience - and this may vary from Police force to Police force - you need to specify either .308 or 7.62 on your variation (Derbyshire demand this for example) - and if the rifle is a 7.62 and you have .308 on your ticket then most dealers won't sell it to you (and vice versa of course).  Same with buying ammunition in my experience as well.

Your experience may be different of course but that's what happens around here!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

you need to specify either .308 or 7.62 on your variation

Very strange - my authority (Cambs) & quite a few others I have seen on different FACs have the generic 7.62mmx51/.308 which covers all the legal requirements. 

I have seen once "7.62mmx51/.308WIN" (which is the same of course).

If you wanted to play with some versions of a Mosin Nagent, they use 7.62mmx54R...... or, 7.62mmx53R for Finnish versions! 😉  Different categories for your FAC / variation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

I tried that and they rang me up and said i needed to specify which one 🙂

I could understand that for a more "exotic" version of 7.62mm, but not in this case.  They need to be educated about what is different & what is the same - maybe a Club Sec or County Sec can get in touch with them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rockhopper said:

I tried that and they rang me up and said i needed to specify which one 🙂

They are wrong - almost everybody does it as 7.62mm/308Win so they are equivalent as they are. I have 3x FAC's with that on it. They are just being difficult - a few areas used to just do it as 30cal!,  same deal for 0.44"/0.45" pistol - get ur NGO legal person to write to them. If they get away with rubbish like this they will be specifying the bullet weight next!   The more people who agree to stuff like this, the more they take the pi$$ & that is then transferred on to the rest of us too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, MIke Jenvey said:

Holt - yep, but timescale  /  availability  / travel options not always ideal (one month to collect after auction of have dispatched to RFD).  Note the Buyer’s Premium of 25% (& VAT of course).

Whilst difficult to compare guide prices versus achieved prices (as no general tgt rifles in their last auction), a lot of the "popular" firearms sales went quite a way over the guide price. If  you fork out £1000 on Holts, plus their Buyer's Premium + VAT, then other options (if available of course) could well be cheaper.

This one on Guntrader has a 'scope (flog it off to buy the TR rear sights) & a shorter than ideal barrel. New barrel = about £900 so worth looking at.

Gunstar option

Very basic P14 (not the best action, but useable) on Gunwatch, cheap & cheerful.

Reasonable Musgrave (but harder to get spares for them) here.

 

 

Definitely have to consider additional costs. But I just missed out on a Quadlock a couple of years ago in one of their sealed bid auctions. Guide price was £500. I bid £550 and it went for £600. It came in a TR stock with handstop etc. Just needed sights. Even if the barrel was shot out and needed replacing, and with RFD transfer it would still have been a pretty good deal. Less than a grand all in or £1800-1900 if the barrel was no good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Privacy Policy