Shoes For Pistol Shooting ?

RobStubbs

I may have asked this same question some time back but I'm still trying to find anything:-

I am after a decent pair of (pistol) shooting shoes. I have a pair of cast off's which are more or less OK but fractionally too small. What I would like to do is try some different makes out before I buy anything - so does anyone know where I can try them (even one make would be a start). Oh and any recommendations as to decent brands would be useful.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Have a pair of Sauer size 9 pistol for sale. They are in excellent condition and even a new pair of laces from this forums own Sauer dealer!

I prefer AHG "branded" shoe as I shoot with a very in-line stance and given a choice would shoot in bare feet. In 2003, I even put three fresh pairs of sports socks through equipment control at Intershoot and got a sheet of nice stickers to cover the three days.

I used Frank Dykes directly. They directed me to the NSRA but NSRA shop was in transition with “staff changes” making reliability a risk for prompt delivery. Don’t think you will get any issues now. Make sure you get a shoe tree for any make you go for to keep soles flat. You can down-load the 7mb AHG PDF catalogue from the Anschutz web site – pm your email address if you want it sending over. You order the shoes in euro sizes BTW. If you get any grizzles at NSRA, talk to Gary directly. Make sure you get pistol, even Dykes needed reminding!

Slightly off topic, I have been very impressed with the Mouche jacket for pistol. For just over the cost of a decent fleece, you get something that is cut for pistol on aim position by default; these rifle shooters have hogged the decent performance clothing for too long!

Not that I've looked at dedicated pistol shoes but I couldn't find a mention on the AHG website.

This morning I got a booklet from Musto about their sailing shoes and boots and whilst boots are out I did wonder about proper sailing deck trainers or shoes which have flatty and "sticky" soles for wet and slippery decks which profess to have good lateral stability. See them under performance soles here:-

Footwear - Performance Soles

Robert,

Cheers for that. I did have a look and they don't look any better than the 'skate shoes' which I sometimes wear. I'll continue looking around.

Rob.

• 2 months later...

Just a mini update. I decided to try and get some AHG pistol shoes and asked the NSRA to get them (this was early July). Apparently they placed an order and they are coming directly from Germany. Unfortunately they must be on a very slow boat going from Gemany to the UK via the rest of the world as they are still not in :(

Worse than that no-one seems to know the status of the order, when they may be delivered or even if the actual order has been dispatched (or even placed). I'm wondering if I might even get them before the Welsh meeting in November at this rate :(

Rob.

Ah, you should have gone to Frank Dykes directly :P

Suggest you have a word with Steve in the shop, his other half Karen needs a pair of AHG as well - don't forget the trees. They do take about a week to come in but Dykes wait for a shipment to make transport costs minimal. After Bisley week, Dykes should be needing a re-stock quite soon so direct or via NSRA, you may get them for the British <_<