10M Match Pistol Wanted

Riggs

I do not have a pistol for sale but my advice is to look for a recent PCP pistol. for the cost of a FWB 100/103 you will be able to buy a good PCP and for a little more a second hand, as new, top of the range pistol.

I have a Steyr, two years old and it has shot 1,000s of pellets without any problems. I also have a FWB 100 but in a recent competition the cocking mechanism broke and four weeks later I am still waiting for the UK importer to get the part from Germany. A Pardini K58 ssp that I also shoot needed new seals and the local air gun repair guru made them as they were no longer available so what was a seal swap by me became the extra cost of a gunsmiths. skills. I also have a Walther ssp and so far I have had no problems with it but many air pistol shooter say spares for Walther ssp pistols are as rare as hens teeth.

To conclude, I am a firm fan of ssp pistols and regularly shoot them but if you are only buying one pistol and want to shoot competitions buy a current PCP.

Thanks for the advice, I think maybe a pcp is a better choice.

There doesn't seem to be many used pistols about at the moment so I've been looking at the Hammerli AP20 pro, but I can't find much in the way of reviews, are there any other pistols I should be looking at, my budget is £600-800.

I think Hammerli are part of the Walther company and their lower end target pistols marketed as Hammerli and their better range of 10 mt pistols as Walther. I have no personal experience of the AP20 and though I shoot at with a number of other competitive shooters have never seen one one the firing line.

Most competitive shooters I know shoot a PCP Steyr or Morini. I have a Steyr and am happy with it but I think the Morini is just as good. these two makes dominate in the sport of 10 mt pistol shooting at every level up to world championships and Olympic finals. If you buy a secondhand Steyr or Morini at the right price then want to change you will get your money back. My Steyr was new but 2017 prices have gone up in the 30 months I have had it and I can sell it now for what I paid.

Recently a Morini was sold at my club for £500, it was in used but good working condition, a lot of good pistols are sold on within the club circuit and if you join a club they will often loan you a pistol and pass the word around that you are in the market to buy. I have bought 3 pistols this way over the years. If you buy this way you get the chance to try the pistol to see if you like it

You could also google, gunstar, I bought my FWB100 off gunstar but no chance to try it beforehand! Do not be afraid to make offers on a pistol you want to buy, though there are few pistols about, the number of buyer is also small.

10 MT pistol is an addictive shooting sport and is both competitive and very friendly, I wish you all the best and may all your shots be 10s

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully i am not too late but just be aware that if you intend shooting competitions to ISSF Rules, your air cylinder will need to be "in date". By that the manufacturers give them a life span of 10 years - if its over you MAY be excluded, not permitted to start or disqualified.

A new cylinder CAN cost as much as £60 to £100